My 1972 Gen2 build

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by jetas, Jan 11, 2016.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well i got a couple of estimates on the rebuild and the price aint too bad. Im waiting to hear back from one more spot that a few coworkers told me about, one of which is friends with the owner.

2. lopez286

lopez286 Member

Nice work on the truck

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thanks. Still got a good amount to go but soon enough

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Still no progress, but some tiny updates. I was going to sell the mag wheels to someone here but they flaked and left me hanging so theyre back on the truck for now.

I ordered a new rear view mirror and door pin switches from ebay, hopefully they find their way from thailand some time this year lol. Wiring should be pretty much done once that stuff is wired.

Also working on cleaning out the garage so i can get this thing indoors so i can get the engine out.

I have a long to do list still, but the goal is to drive it to Toyotafest this year.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well the old broad is now comfy and cozy inside the garage, waiting on a buddy of mine to lend me his engine lift so i can pull the motor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    let me know how those door switches work out, I was looking at those too but unsure if a universal one will work too. Last time I ordered stuff from Thailand it took 3 weeks to get. I don't recall if the passenger side has one but my driver's side one is broken.
    If the mirror doesn't work out I think I found at least 3, maybe 4 spares in my parts box from the PO. Not sure why he had so many, possibly the guts for the light switch were bad, but the mirrors and base themselves are fine.

wish my 2-car garage had that much space inside to fit a vehicle :)

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well the door switches actually look and feel pretty good.

I hooked it all up real quick by twisting the wires together and running power and it all worked. Just need to run the wires how they need to be and button it up.

I shouldve put a wanted ad for the mirror. if i had know the quality of the repop i wouldnt have bought it. Its not horrible and it does the job, just feel like it couldve been better.

And ive been trying to get the truck in there since i got it almost 2 years ago. We had to tear down a small room we had built in there so it was the perfect excuse to move it in lol

Jason Ouelette likes this.
  8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Can anyone tell me if i can pull the engine and trans all together? Or do i HAVE to seperate them and just pull the engine?

9. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I've browsed most of the build threads here and I believe I saw in a few you can pull it with trans attached. It was reinstalling a different engine where I saw the user had a clearance issue.
    maybe have a 2nd or 3rd set of hands to help so you can twist it to whatever angle you need to clear - likely the radiator support/front clip will be the trouble spot is my guess.

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thats what i figured, doesnt look like theres much space between the engine and core support. I should have a couple of buddies there to give me a hand so il give it a try.

11. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I feel like it's more work then necessary.. I pulled the engine by itself out of my 77 in about an hour and a half by myself.. it would've only taken another 5-10 to get the tranny out after that so really you aren't saving much time or work.

Just my thoughts.. :waytogo:

12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well damn i might just have to do that then. Only thing i havent unbolted are the motor mounts and the trans from the engine. So im not too far from pulling the damn thing.

When you put te engine back did you put them back in seperate as well?

13. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    how the heck do you get to all the bolts on top of the trans to disconnect the two while under the truck? 4ft of socket extensions?

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pretty sure thats how. Or drop the trans crossmember and lift the engine forward and unbolt

15. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Yes.

16. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    If you're like the previous owner of my truck, just never put them in! :brickknock: Mine was only bolted together by 2 bolts. The stupidity of some people amazes me (and just how forgiving these trucks are to the stupider among us).

Utility 77 likes this.
  17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hey aslong as it doesnt fall apart who cares lol.

18. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I never pulled the tranny, just put a jack under it to keep it from falling..

Extensions and impact or a ratcheting box wrench(or regular, i cant remember..) and determination to get your hands back there..

19. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    My 4 runners tranny was missing 4 bolts where the case seperates.. I never remembered to get some for it and sold it the same way.. :waytogo:

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well i drove out to Taft this saturday in hopes of picking up a blown early 22R and a W58. Ended up just taking the trans home. Feel kinda dumb now for not getting the engine but something deep down inside told me not to.

I got the 20R in my truck just about ready to come out. Should have it out sometime this week.