FS: 22RTE turbo parts

Discussion in 'Parts and Accessories' started by JamesD, Oct 26, 2008.

1. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    Just like the title says.

Upper intake-$65
    [​IMG]

Turbo elbows-$30 each
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TB elbow to pipe-$25-
    [​IMG]

Turbo airbox-$35
    [​IMG]

more............

2. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    Turbo manifold-$100-Had crack but it was professionally welded and not with a MIG welder either
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turbo to intake pipe-$50
    [​IMG]

more......

3. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    Are these two parts to the 22RTE?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prices DO NOT include shipping. Sorry but I do not have Paypal guys.
    Parts are located in Binghamton NY 13901. My email is: [​IMG]

Thanks, James

4. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    None of you need turbo parts?

5. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    Sure we do. Just not these ones. Sorry, not trying to be negative, just trying to explain.

On my RTE setup I am not using a single one of these pieces. When you advertise "turbo parts", people will assume there are some parts they can use to turbo their ride. Nothing here will do that, except the exhaust manifold.

You may get some interest in the manifolds, or maybe someone with a stock RTE truck could use one of the hoses.

6. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    The title says 22RTE turbo parts so my advertising is correct, I'm selling specific parts that fit the 22RTE engines.:confused:

7. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    Sorry man, no offense intended, I only meant to explain. When I first saw the title, I was excited, but when I saw there were no injectors, turbo, ecu, etc, I was a little disappointed.

I guess in my head it's engine swap material when I see RTE, while you're thinking stock RTE truck parts. Again, no offense.:)

Good luck with the sale.

8. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    im kinda interest in a real 22ret head if you got one lying around;)

9. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    No offense taken.:D

10. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    Ok, instead of me doing the right thing and searching, what is the difference in the turbo head versus the n/a head? What difference is it from the pop-up piston head used on the 84 and older engines?

11. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    The RTE head is the same casting as any other '85+ head, but the combustion chambers are machined differently to make them more open and to decrease compression.

Here are some articles explaining the differences in the 22R engine generations-http://www.lcengineering.com/technotes/index.php?p=view&catid=1&id=49

http://www.lcengineering.com/technotes/index.php?p=view&catid=1&id=48

12. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    The only difference between the turbo head and the 81-84 head is the exhaust port. The pear shape is for EGR so you could you use the older head. I had a Turbo head a few years back and no one wanted it so I scrapped it.

James

13. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    Sorry James, but this is wrong. The 22r heads and blocks underwent a significant design change in '85. Some parts will swap, but blocks, heads, front covers, timing chains,water pumps, oil pumps, and pistons will not. Check the links above for more details.

14. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    I see but their is a way around all this since I bet the turbo head is probably very similar to the 84 and earlier head. I cannot see why you can't use a pre-85 head as a turbo head and the only difference I can see is the decked of the head is taller and it has no provisions for the EGR on the exhaust port. If you use a pre-85 head to substitute it for a turbo head, I cannot see why you cannot make it work.

James

15. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    The biggest difference is in the height of the head. Both block and head are taller on the early engines. Mixing generations means that the cam will be off by about half a chain link.

It could work, as long as the pistons don't contact the head, and if you had an adjustable timing gear to make up for the cam timing issue.

I just tore down an RE that was built with an early block, late head, and late pistons. At TDC the pistons were almost 1/4" down the hole! The compression ratio would have been ridiculously low, and with the cam timing off too, it must have been a real dog!

TDC!
    [​IMG]

16. JamesD

JamesD Veteran

Truck:
    93 Reg cab
    Ok so how do people put a 20R head on a 85 and newer block? It has been done many times. You can always shave the head to get to the specs of the 85 and newer head. I personally think it is very doable within reasonable cost.

James

17. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    Aha, found it! Read this-http://www.lcengineering.com/technotes/index.php?p=view&catid=2&id=4

Not to say it's impossible. Just not worth it IMO.

I've never seen a successful cross-generational hybrid. I've heard of 20R heads working great on a pre'85 22R, but not on a later one. The 20R head is the best flowing head available for the R series, and I've heard the '75 (Dunno why) 20R is supposed to be the best of all. OldMage on http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
    has a 20R head welded and modded to accept the EFI manifold, it's a strong runner.

18. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    woo hoo . . . My 75' Green Machine has that 20R production date JAN 75, believe this setup ran till September of that same year and then parts changed, I know my water pump was a real bugger to find and when it came to switching out the 3 core radiator in the beast, I had to compromise and get a 2 core from a 76' along with a 76' lower hose to make it work, the 75' hose setup would not even come close. Oh and yeah for now its sporting the old points style distributer, I also just got done converting the carb to a Weber 32/36 DGEV and deleting the emmision ports on the exhaust manifold, The power is a major increase and it seems to have alot more get up and go, mindja I had to add a 18" section of 2" exhaust pipe with a 18" cherry bomb just for good measure, WHEW' loudness . . . Long story short I gots the 75' 20R block aformentioned . . . sorry to butt in . . .

19. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    If the head is in good shape, building it with big valves and a street port job and putting it on an '81-'84 22R shortblock is the way to go. Webers, headers, a cam, and you're in business!

20. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    hate to bring up a somewhat old post, but i have the hybrid setup in my toyota..'86 lazer 22r block (.30 over), with a 20R head, oversized valves and a stage 2 cam..i wont get into what all the motor has. But i did do i, just havent gotten around to hooking the fuel line up to the 45mm sidedrafts.