What annoys you at work? And how do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raylcc, Mar 27, 2014.

1. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    I work at a Consulate and my job is pretty simple: I scan people for weapons and send them to the right place for what they need.
    To greet them, I ask a simple question: "Hello, are you here for a visa or passport?" To which, any person with any amount of sense and a brain in theyre head will respond: "Yes, I need blah blah blah" or "No, I actually need yada yada." then I can direct them to the right place and scan for weapons...
    But then theres always that one type of person...
    Almost always female, usually middle age, usually overweight and usually giving off a very "crazy cat lady" vibe. (Not that I'm stereotyping... I'm just observing here.)
    I'll ask my usual question: "Hello, are you here for a visa or passport?"
    And they answer with: "No!" and stand there like I'm supposed to know what they want or like theyre business is so secret that they could only tell it to someone with high-level security clearance.
    Yeah... Ok, CCL (Crazy Cat Lady), for one, you are either here for visa's passports, declaration of birth/death or for one of the college programs. Your too old for the college stuff, too weird, nutty and/or psycho to get a man to breed with you, so I doubt its the birth thing. You probably come from a long line of bitter, old women whose cats eat them after they die alone in theyre apartments, so the death thing is ruled out so it has to be either visa or passport.

How do I deal with them?
    I read somewhere that after saying something to someone, if there is four seconds of silence from the person your talking to, it creates feelings of rejection in the brain. I've found its true, but rarely takes that long, especially with CCL's.
    Giving them a quiet, blank stare for a couple seconds will usually get them to drop the pissy "I don't have to tell you!" act and begrudgingly tell me what they want. (other than another, less depressing life and maybe human interraction without having to give the guy her credit card number first.)

So lets hear it! What annoys you at work and how do you deal with it? Go ahead and vent.

2. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    I hate kiss a$$ Co-workers.Taking credit for other peoples hard work and when the boss is not around they are sitting on their a$$es.

3. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
  4. DeadBison

DeadBison Member

Truck:
    77 Hilux Longbed

Ask them what their visit is about, Kinda like "What are you visiting for today?" More of a open ended question so they don't feel like they have to answer 20 questions, and your not throwing a question that might confuse the cat lady. Worked for me processing soldiers from all over the world.

And what annoys me about work is people. I hate people, well I don't but PTSD, Anxiety and off and on agoraphobia make it hard, so I build and sell furniture from my garage.

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I'm a truck driver so I hate most people on the road including most other trucks. :lol: I just suck it up and go about my day. If I get all worked up about it nothing changes anyway so I just let it slide.

6. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    85 regular cab longbed 22R
    Lately it's been the "New and Improved" software I use for work. It was obviously written by someone who has never done my job and approved by some one of the same intelligence. It's supposed to be smart and helpful. Only problem is it never gets it right and does all kinds of "what the hell was thats" My smart tool is making me work twice as hard.

Usually I just swear at it and punch the keyboard. Lol. Need a punching bag in my cube.

7. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    ^I'll have that one later this year when they update all the computers and software from our current 4 year old models to brand new crap with windows 8. My biggest fear is I've heard VBA will work slightly differently (and the new graphicy crap in office makes it run slower if screen updating is on) and I have to spend weeks pouring over pages of VBA code to get my spreadsheets to work again.

I currently keep track of internal billing for R&D. Most annoying? ha, where do I start...Here are the biggies:

1. Cheap engineers that know math but don't know jack about what the math applies to. their knowledge consists of numbers in, numbers out. NOT what the numbers are actually doing. Also, a lot of them are not native English speakers or it's foreign taught English which means they also don't know American English for crap. Sure they speak it and kind of listen to it but it's like there's a huge disconnect between what they mean and what they say (same for what they hear and what they understand). This one I've had long before taking my current position.

2. I send out weekly reports to make sure billing will be assigned right. it goes to 50 different people. I still get notes about having the wrong account or billing number for 3+ months.

3. People that are bad at explaining why they want something. (Again, far more than just the current job)
    "I want a refund!"
    "Why, what happened?"
    "Because I'm not happy and I should get one"
    "No"
    "WELL THEN I WANT TWO REFUNDS BECAUSE I'M ANGRY"

Dealing with it:
    1. repeat yourself 6 times but say it differently each time. Preferably in email or another traceable method.

2. If it's my fault the billing # didn't get changed, I fix it. If they just didn't pay attention, tough.

3. previously, working at a parts store, corperate was so afraid of complaints they told us to give in. (I usually made them work for it a little tho). Now, I give them a form to fill out. it has fields for quantity and who, what, where, when, why, how, etc. Takes a whole minute to fill out, tops but it drives them nuts when they actually have to quantify and explain.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I thought i had it bad at work. Lol.

I honestly just dislike dealing with my supervisor, she doesnt listen or stand up for her department. All the other supervisors walk all over her.

We've learned to not bother going to management with things and solving issues with help of our coworkers. Keeps them out of our hair and makes the day go by smoother

9. toy_spd

toy_spd Addict

Truck:
    92 SR5 V6 Extra Cab
    [​IMG] Its not like its that hard to remember. [​IMG]

10. jctoy29

jctoy29 Addict

Truck:
    1993 toyota standard cab short bed
    Going to work annoys me. Lol but someone has to pays the bills n put food on the table.

11. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    :brickknock:
    There's a guy here who, I kid you not, has had to have his password reset EVERY WEEK. I don't know what he does (or doesn't) do but every Monday morning times have to be approved and his supervisor's grumbling about him.

I'm curious how well he'd remember it if half a dozen people stopped bending over backward to accomodate him and he missed a paycheck ;) Seriously, it's gotta be at least a man-hour a week between him, his supervisor, IT, and HR to get a 5 minute job done.

Ours are finicky but really not that bad.

12. TDS909

TDS909 Veteran

Truck:
    1992 st cab
    work

I got into it with a guy at work I used to be cool with, dude disrespected me to many times and oneday he told me he was going to knock me out! I let my shop foreman and service manger know and they did nothing, I told this punk to come to my house to do it he never came over, dude weigh s 100lbs in wet clothes, Now he talks **** behind my back and trys to give me dirty looks, I am not trying to get canned so I leave it alone but hearing from other people that he runs his mouth kinda gets to me so now I wrote down the incident and what he does now

13. Erick561

Erick561 Veteran

I ship from New London County CT I Price Match
    Truck:
    79 Toyota Hilux 4WD WHEELING DAILY DRIVER
    I get annoyed while at work (Self Employed) When people from craigslist or any of these online forums are not genuine people so I ignore them and move on to the next legit customer