Cool Tools!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raylcc, Jun 26, 2014.

1. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    I hope this thread will stay up and people will list cool tools that they see/own/make and hopefully write reviews.
    Also, did you buy a tool that sucks and isnt worth buying? Let us know so we all don't make the same mistake.

I'll start it off with these:

CarbonLite Tools

I don't own them, so I can't say if they are any good or will last, but the idea is awesome! They'd be great for a bike bag.

2. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    How durable and strong these are will be the first question for me as my craftsman set will hold the spot in my toolbox along with their warranty.

3. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Very true with Craftsman. But I absolutely love my 3/8 Snap On fine tooth. Worth every penny I spent on it. It's definitely my "go to". As well as my 1/2 Mac impact. Certain things are worth spending the money for, but it all depends on how well you take care of your tools. As a machinist I do have some very important tools that never leave my sight. Gotta keep that sh!t calibrated :waytogo:

4. night_amuse

night_amuse Member

Truck:
    81 4x4 4spd
    ive bought a few snap-on etc for my tools at work and the cheapo chinese tools have held up just the same. in some cases my stuff has outlasted other peoples snap-on lol

in the last 2 years ive only broken 1 socket (cracked in half somehow) and a couple universal joint sockets. all cheapos, universals broke from using them on transmission bellhousing bolts with an air gun when theyre clearly stamped NOT FOR AIR TOOL USE lol

just out of personal opinion snap on and mac youre paying for the name to be stamped on it, only way ive found them to be better than cheap stuff is ratchets

5. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    All mine are kobalt. They have a warranty if they're lost stolen or broken lifetime warranty. Just register them online pay $5 for shipping then they send a new one

6. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    My wife bought me an eastwood welder, kept seeing all the adds in minitruckin and the prices were to tough to pass up. I have to say I love em. Had a small problem with my mig overheating, could only run a bead about 2" then it would stop and I'd have to wait about 15 min then I could welt another 2". I called eastwood and they sent me a whole new setup free of charge and paid for the return shipping on the original. Never had the problem again. I grew up on miller and Lincoln welders and have to say for the price and customer service with eastwood, I'll be sticking with them for now on.

7. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    My garage is equipped with the following:
    5.5 HP/20GAL. Craftsman compress
    12'' bench to Delta drill press
    12'' bench top disk sander
    10'' band saw
    Hobart Handler 135 welder (never had a problem with)
    Thermal Dynamics Pak 38XL plasma with a upgraded touch
    Kobalt 41''x 19'' top & bottom tool boxes,loaded with Craftsman tools
    My trusty Makita 4 1/2 angle grinder ( have had & used endlessly for 15 years)
    5 different air tools all from Harbor Fright
    a new vise from Wilton 6 1/2'' that is revisable should out last my smaller Craftsman that went 12 years :cool:

8. 77HiToyLux

77HiToyLux Member

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Hilux
    Nice set of tools Truck Action, should be able to do some fine fabrication with all that.

I have no welding or cutting capacity, I have welded a few times with an experienced person to guide me.

I have read good things about the Hobarts, you liking it ?

Not sure I would ever get enough stuff to weld to justify a welder.

9. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    I'm not too sure about the Hobarts myself but I love my 110 Lincoln gas mig. I would absolutely love a plasma cutter. But I do have a 30 gal. Huskey air compressor. It does it's job alright. Harbor Freight does have good air tools just keep them oiled. They will last for ever. I don't own any myself but have used some.:waytogo:

10. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    The Hobarts are made by Miller & the same except use plastic spools.
    And any mig ,using a shielding gas is a must for clean welds! I whiched from gauges to a a glass sight,as regulates better!
    I have been using mine for all of 13 years now ,no problems,though I should have bought a 220 model,as adding 220 for the plasma ( works 110/220) was not a problem!:cool:

11. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    That's one thing I need to do is change over to a glass sight.

12. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    I also have the Lincoln pro mig 180, skil sawzall and 4 1/2 angle grinder, ryobi 14" chop saw, and a stand up grinder someone made

13. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I don't use air tools, but when I subject my tools to high amounts of torque, I expect them to hold their given value until the job is done. I've seen cheap tools mar, bend, strip out before the fasteners I'm loosening do.

Especially when I have one vehicle, I will get that "job" fixed before the next day.

14. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    You guys need to go check out www.garagejournal.com You will find anything you want to know about cool and rare tools over there.

15. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    I have a Clark or Clarke (don't remember the exact spelling) 110 volt welder that I bought mail order from Gary Olen's Sportsmans Guide about 10 years ago and its been great. I was going to buy a tank for it, and I agree that a mig makes nicer welds with a tank, but I like the portability of not having a tank. When I built my barrel composter a few weeks ago I just carried the welder out onto the back porch and welded up the mounts on the drum without any fuss. I'd still like a 220 Miller mig with a tank though. But for now, my "off-brand" welder is doing fine.

16. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    Oh, and I have to give a kudos to Leatherman. I carry the Leatherman Charge TTi everyday and honestly don't think I'd have a job if I didn't carry it. People in the office are constantly bringing out things that break as I am the resident Bob-The-Builder of the office. I have a small tool bag in my locker, but most small jobs can be taken care of with the multi-tool. I think Leatherman has kinda gone off the rails in the past few years trying to stylize theyre tools and with that STUPID, NEXT TO WORTHLESS carabiner/bottle opener thing they insist on putting on everything, but the classics are still excellent quality. The charge, the Micra, ect are well worth the money.