vibrating when stopping car? gears?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by mntbiker2008, Apr 3, 2007.

1. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    i just had my clutch changed this weekend and when i went to have it done it did the same thing. heres the problem.. whenever im slowing down or (sumtimes) shifting into a lower gear e.x. 3 to 4... i get this rough vibrate through the whole car. it seems like maybe the gears in the axle are skipping over each other? has anybody exerienced this and if so, what is the fix? i love this truck and want to keep it for a little while longer.

thanks

2. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    im gonna take it up to valvoline or sumthin and get the diff. fluids changed and see what happens.. does anyone know if they the axle fluid as well?

thanks

3. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    How much is the truck lifted? Or is it completely stock? If there is any lift, what kind is it?
    I've had that type of vibration but it was never gears, in my experience, if gears are going there are a lot of other noises besides a vibration (and not just while stopping).

4. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    the truck is completely stock other than it has SUV tires on it (didnt have a choice in that) that have about 10,000 miles on them. no lift. i was driving yesturday and was paying attention to it a little more and when the vibrating comes in. its right around 20-30 mph. when im aaccelerating it goes away after that. when im stopping it comes in at 30 mph and stops when i stop. i was told to air the tires up (was down by 5 lbs) so i aired them up. did the same thing. then i was also told to rotate the tires. which has not been done since the new tires were put on.

5. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Well, that's a good point. If the knobs are aggressive much, then they tend to flex more than a street tire when stopping. This can cause them to cup some and possibly lead to this kind of vibration. Obviously, the first third of their lifespan is most critical when it comes to rotating them because of the extra block height.

6. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    that makes sense. im going to get them rotated here shortly and see if that does anything. thanks for the input

7. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    i went and got the tires rotated today and im still havign the same problem... could it be brakes? i cant think of anything else that would cause this...

8. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Do you feel the vibration in the pedal?

9. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    yes... i feel it everywhere my body touches the car... steering wheel, clutch, brake pedal... seat

10. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    The brakes my guess without seeing the truck would be warped rotors. Also check your U joints, driveshaft play and balance.

11. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    if its the brakes im gonna be pretty pissed... the mechanics that had it were half assed mofos. ive had to go out of my pocket twice already to replace their s!&t work. brake line was punctured, then the drums were warped in the back because the parking brake didnt release on one side.. im gonna go have it checked out. will i be able to check driveshaft play/ balance, U joints by myself? if so what should i do to see and how can i tell?

thanks

12. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    get under your truck and wiggle the drive shaft and check if it's sloppy.

13. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    k.. will do.. ill post back after i do it.

14. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    it didnt feel like it was loose or anything... i was able to twist it but thats supposed to happen.. i could movev it sideways very very little but thats it...

15. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Ya it's normal to have a little play. Um does the engine stutter at all and is it only when you down shift or is it only when you use the brakes.

16. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    when u say "stutter" do u mean does it sound like its going to stall out? and its usually when i use the brakes as well as downshifting.

17. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    i figured it out what makes it do that... well... what causes it to shake... whenever i go on the highway it does that... it take a little while to go back to normal... it stopped doing it the other day then i took it on the highway today and it did it again so im thinkin the "high speeds" does somthing to it... what could that be? it doesnt really bother me much since it duznt do it after i get off the highway a little while later...

18. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    broken motor mount? Does the engine try to stall out?

19. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    it was when i first started having the problem... i drove on the highway again today and it didnt do it ater i got off onto the regular roads.. idk what was going on...

20. Bakemono

Bakemono Newbie

Truck:
    '99 Ford F-150
    If the vibration happens under braking it could be warped front rotors. It could also be a wheel bearing, worn tierods, a bad tire or loose exhaust.
    I wish I had a clear-cut answer for you, but Im afraid its going to be a trail and error process.
    Id start by checking the rotors for warpage. You basically put a dial indicator on the brake rotor and spin the rotor. If it is outside of the tolorances, you know you have a warped rotor.
    If its not the rotor, see if you can wiggle the front wheels. If there is play, you know you have a bad bearing.
    Good luck.