Help!! No spark.

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by gstrout1, Jul 27, 2015.

1. gstrout1

gstrout1 Newbie

Truck:
    1987 pickup... original owner
    I have a 1987 Toyota pickup 22R 2.4L 2bbl 4 speed (one owner... Me!) 425,000 miles and was running like a top until the other day. It just died at a light in heavy traffic. Got her towed the 40 miles back home and currently sitting in the driveway.
    Pulled the coil wire and No spark to the distributor. Checked the sending unit.. seems ok. Coil measured a bit out of spec so I replaced it with no results. I checked what fuses I could find. Not sure how many fuses there actually are in the ignition system as my POS manual has NO wiring diagrams other than chassis electrical.
    I was going to check the voltage to the primary at the coil but with no diagrams I have no idea what the (+) terminal is. There are two wires to the primary one pink and one black.
    Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Maybe something I am not checking. I did a search but I am still coming up empty. Thanks for any help or ideas anyone may have...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    99.9% chance your ignitor died.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Follow the wire going from the + side of the coil, one goes to the igniter the other to the main harness. Thats the positive. And i also agree that the igniter may have failed.

4. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    Yeah it's more then likely the ICM (Ignition Control Module) like @White Trash said!! Mine literally just went out on me a few weeks ago on the way home from a show! I was at the Indiana/Ohio border still 2+ hours from home in BFE at like 12AM on a Sunday night and it was dumping rain! SH**TY!! If you have a spark plug tester you can see if there's spark coming out off of the coil, if there's not it's either the ICM or the coil! I broke down this past weekend and went ahead and bought an MSD 6A Ignition and the Blaster 2 coil.

There's a couple options you have in replacing the $$$ OEM Toyota ICM!

1. Easiest and fairly cheap way to go is to just hit up a local junkyard
    2. GM ICM and coil conversion - Toyota Ignition & Coil Bypass
    3. MSD ignition and coil swap

There's some other HEI modules that you can use that are relatively cheap! Here's a few that White Trash had recommended a few to me.

PerTronix
    MSD Street Fire ICM
    MSD Digital GM High Energy Modules with Rev Limiters

@White Trash I hope it's cool I'm throwin your name out here like this but you helped me with a lot of incite on this issue!! :waytogo:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    If you choose to go the GM HEI route just know that it isnt a 100% success. I tried it and got no spark, others have also had issues

6. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    Yeah same issue! Completed the swap and triple checked it and NADA!! Even took both the GM coil and GM ICM back to the auto parts store and had them switch them out for me just in case one of them was DOA! But nope they weren't! She just didn't want to spark!!

7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    No worries throwing my name around, I'm here to help. :D

I have always used this writeup and had success with the hei module setup.

8. gstrout1

gstrout1 Newbie

Truck:
    Thanks for all the replies!! Much appreciated. The GM conversion is interesting. I have an igniter on the way from a salvage yard in CO. If that doesn't do the trick I will try the GM conversion. This is my daily (only) driver so I need to get it up as soon as possible. Again many thanks for your time and advice.

9. gstrout1

gstrout1 Newbie

Truck:
    Igniter arrived from the salvage yard this morning. 5 minute install and she runs like a top!! :clapping:
    Now to push on and try and make the 500,000 mile mark with this truck. I will make a note of the GM conversion in case this happens again.
    Thanks again for all the helpful replies and info.
    Gary

10. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    That's awesome!! :waytogo: I wish mine would've been that easy! I'm thinking my issue is the pickup coil in the distributor! Reason why is because that's the only thing left that hasn't been swapped out! Even after the new MSD Ignition and coil all hooked up and still nothing!