new from Sacramento '79

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ddbuffalo, May 16, 2015.

1. ddbuffalo

ddbuffalo Newbie

I'm new to the group. Just bought a 1979 2wd pickup. 121K Runs pretty well. A/C.
    Need a driver's side front fender; any possible sources? Will get rid of camper shell.

Attached Files:

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You check on ebay?

3. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Welcome neighbor!

There are a lot of recyclers in Rancho Cordova....Or you can keep an eye on Pick N Pull's inventory(online), before heading to the yard.

I think i saw your truck on CL :) Love that body style! And the round head lights are sexy, haha.

What are your plans for your new truck?

4. ddbuffalo

ddbuffalo Newbie

Not sure yet. I missed having a pickup for minor hauling. I like the 20/22R engines so I was glad to find a Toyota pickup at a decent price. Seems mechanically solid, so I'll concentrate on some of the body pieces that need straightening out. I called the Toyota shop in Rancho Cordova, but don't have one right now. I didn't ask about 80-83, so I'll check back. Thanks for the tip on the online Pick-n-Pull locations. Couple of possible trucks listed in Modesto/Stockton.

5. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
  6. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I forgot the obvious CL...Be sure to search "toyota pickup" and "toyota truck", sometimes different stuff pops up.

This is about an hour away from Sac, in the Jackson/Ione area:

Toyota Pickup body parts

Here is a clean bed in Carmichael:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/5020525890.html

You will find that your body style has a lot of available parts. A lot of which might be coming from the 4x4 guys turning their trucks into crawlers. I used to have an '81 4x4 and became a member of the Marlin crawler forum. Good guys with a LOT of info.....And a classifieds section, if you want to add that to your search for parts/info.

Marlin Crawler forum:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=a7a6e88b8bacb3c9a97bc46c0dd24417&

Pirate 4x4 also:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  7. ddbuffalo

ddbuffalo Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I picked up the fenders and valance in Jackson on Friday.

8. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Nice!

I hope to regain my enthusiasm towards my truck someday, haha.

Right now, i'm just running it into the ground :(

9. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I think Pick N Pull is having their 50% off sale this weekend, if you need odds and ends...

10. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
  11. ddbuffalo

ddbuffalo Newbie

Actually the driveshaft looks fine. I replaced both U joints, but there is still some vibration. Don't know if the driveshaft is unbalanced. No noisy sound from differential and doesn't look like motor mounts. Don't have the time to continue to ferret out issue. Everything else seems fine with the truck.

12. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Thought about taking it to a driveline shop? Or are you just not that invested in keeping it?

13. ddbuffalo

ddbuffalo Newbie

Not sure, but probably worth checking out. There's a place in West Sac, not too far from Davis. At least let me know how much it might cost.

14. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Don't feel too bad; I've been running mine into the ground since 1999... :( :(

I've tested infomercial crap on it ("wipe on shine" crap), had to have carb rebuilt due to sitting too long, shifter feels "strange" as in too loose, interior is gone to crap, engine dirty and crusty, and muffler is developing another hole. Right now, I only drive it around the block a few times to keep the carburetor clean of deposits. :( Oh, and I have to keep checking/cleaning off black/brown widow spider webs. :mad:

I have been buying/collecting parts to install when I get time, chance, and space to work on it from top to bottom though. I can't wait to get it back to its former glory, and better!

15. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I actually have a vibration going on around 45-55mph....It started after my first "tire rotation" at America's Tires.

I've never bought new tires and i've never had a shop rotate my tires and the first time i do! Vibration @ 45-55mph?

It could be the way they torqued the lug nuts, maybe the mating surface wasn't clean, maybe they just didn't balance them out right?

I figured it was just uneven wear that would level off or something, because it started as soon as i left the shop.

Could be tires, wheel bearings, brakes, or drivetrain related....A lot of avenues you could follow.

I'm just going to drive mine AS IS until I...
    1. Don't have a job
    OR
    2. Something breaks

lol

16. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Welcome to the site and from my own personal experience... Never buy aftermarket body panels. They never fit. That is why I drove mine with three different color because it is always better to buy original. Junkyard panels are better.