1977 Hilux with big dreams...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by zzedly, Aug 13, 2013.

1. zzedly

zzedly Newbie

Truck:
    77 SR5 Longbed
    Hey everyone!

Just a new user wanting to say hi to you all. Even in the small amount of time I've been reading the site as a lurker, I can tell you are great people and have an immense amount of knowledge about (not to mention respect for) these little trucks.

I've got a 1977 Hilux SR5 that I've had since I was 16 (now 35). Yes, it was my first vehicle. I drove to school in it, I had my first kiss with my (now) wife in it. Needless to say, it has memories galore....

I'm hoping some of you will be able to guide/help me with my goal of making a sleeper out of this wonderful truck. I'm not sure the 20R is going to get me the sound and performance I'm looking for, so any suggestions on engine swaps or do's/don'ts would be appreciated!

-=Zzedly=-

2. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    Welcome!

I got my truck at the beginning of my Junior year in HS when I was 16 in Sept 1981. I still remember jumping into my shortbed SR5. It's almost fully loaded with all of the options minus the moon roof. My alumni friends are amazed that I still have my truck. The clock is currently at 277K miles.

Isn't is AWESOME to have owned a truck for over 30 years?

I can help guide you to to get that sleeper-look. I'm also a good source for some NOS parts.

Glad you joined us!!!
    Ricik

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Welcome. Glad youve kept it so long. I can help you make a nice sleeper plan too. Probably have parts if you need anything. There lots of friendly people and great info here.

4. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for the bio on the truck and your memories there are several of us on here that have had are trucks since highschool and believe me we all share the same love and dedication to are mini's in restoring and sleepaphying are truck and boy do we have some sleepers so ask and you shall receive

My choice on motors is the 1uz lexas V8 but there are plenty of other options that are sure are about to be posted real soon

Again welcome

5. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    As for motor swaps, I have lots of info on how to run a dodge small block with either a W or R series 5 speed yota trans. I plan to swap a 318/R15* into my 78 this winter. With aluminum heads its only about 100 lbs extra weight on the nose. Less if you relocated the battery out back.

Post up some more pics before the natives get restless :D

6. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Wow, what a cool story behind the truck.

What are your goals? Just more a little more power, or are you looking to make the truck fast?

7. Sharwk

Sharwk Member

Truck:
    1975 HiLux
    My first vehicle when I was 16 was an 88 red 22R 2wd. 21years later I bought a 75. It never gets old... Post some pics..

8. 77RN23

77RN23 Member

Truck:
    77 RN23
    Let's see some pics!

9. zzedly

zzedly Newbie

Truck:
    77 SR5 Longbed
    I hate being "that guy" that resurrects old threads, but I wanted to say thanks to all of you that responded. It gives me hope that there is path from here to where I want my truck to be!

Oddly enough, as much as I love my truck, I've never spent a lot of time taking pictures of it. I only have the one attached. It's from a few years ago, but other than being a bit dirtier now, it's about the same. That fact that it's under a car cover now makes it harder to take new pictures.

My goal for this truck seems fairly simple to me: I want it to be a sleeper. Unassuming but special. The kind of truck that rolls by and people say "Hmm, that truck doesn't look/sound/feel stock." I don't need speed, but dammit I want to be the first person to 40mph :). I'd like a good deep rumble from the engine, something I don't think the 20R will ever be able to give me.

My biggest issue is that I am not a mechanic nor am I a metal fabricator. I like DIY, but I have my limits (especially considering I have a wife and two kids that time priority over my DIY time). I realize putting anything into my truck that wasn't originally designed to be there is going to require some custom work, but are there any options (e.g. engine, trans, etc) that could make my life easier while still getting it closer to my goal? Does staying with a Toyota/Lexus engine/trans make it "easier" (notice the quotes)?

Thanks in advance, you guys (and gals?) are a great group....

-=Zzedly=-

Attached Files:

10. sleeping75

sleeping75 Newbie

Truck:
    1975 hilux
    Welcome to the fourm! Although my 75 pickup doesn't look as nice yours, I too shared the sleeper dream lol. I've got a 350sbc with a s10 t5. It's getting close to being complete, and the few times I've driven it it's done nothing but blow me away! With the 350 the truck weighs in between 2600 and 2700 lbs(im gonna go through a lot of tires) Good luck on yours!

11. zzedly

zzedly Newbie

Truck:
    77 SR5 Longbed
    How much "massaging" did it take to get the 350 and t5 in? I've been told there's almost no way I can get a V8 under the hood without major problems (especially considering my truck is 2WD, i.e. little clearance for the oil pan).

-=Zzedly=-