Custom door panels. Help!?

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by LAYNLOW, Sep 2, 2015.

1. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Ok..so my plans are to wrap my door panels and headliner in my 93 pickup. Im debating on suede or tweed. Both look good but i also want durability. Its my dd so it will see alot of action lol. I want to do inserts to so its not just a plain wrapped panel/headliner. Anyone know where i can find a video/pics on a diy project and a how to? First wrap so i need some info. And tips are appreciated

2. 390armstrong

390armstrong Member

Truck:
    90 xcab 3.0 vze
  3. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Thanks man

4. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Couple of things to keep in mind. Tweed is not fun to clean and odors clean to the fabric. It's easy to work with and cheap. Suede is nice but on a headliner is kinda heavy and you have you use good glue. Also suede does wear. I have leather and suede in my truck but I don't dd it. Look forward to seeing what route you go.

5. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    i have tweed throughout my truck. Its held up pretty good over 15 years and like roach said it is a pIta to clean. I have some stains i cant get out

6. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Im keeping in mind these things. Im at a fork n the road between the fabrics. Tonight im going fabric shopping lol. So depending on what i find and the price will be my deciding factor. Im leaning towards suede but i like the look of tweed too. We'll see what happens after tonight. Thanks guys for the info!

7. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    @ JOEY - Killer build man. Love the color. I was concideri g going the same color scheme or something close to

8. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    So went shopping. Dur to an impatient wife and kid i couldnt really "look" , BUT the suede is $20 a yd!! Seeing as to how im going to need quite a bit...im thinkn i might go tweed. Im going back tomorrow do buy one or the other so ill be tearing down and redoing the headliner and panels. Ill take pics from start to finish n share.

9. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I have gray tweed on my dash...Love it!

But it does stain....Still looks good though and i've never done anything maintenance wise.

I would go with black tweed and spray it with scotch guard or something?

I actually have a cool idea to try, if i ever redo it.

One word= Decoupage!

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/151423

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  10. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    thx dude! i've been looking to update it recently

LAYNLOW likes this.
  11. Johnno919

Johnno919 Member

Truck:
    22r 91 Xcab
    interested in how this turns out, im looking at doing my own door panels but dont wanna screw it up. also dont wanna pay $700 for a shop to do it haha

12. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    @ Yo- Thats definitely different! I been thinkn about doi g both. Tweed panels/ suede headliner...or vise versa. Idk how it would look. But either way ill be starting tonight.

13. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Yeah, it doesn't have to be a sticker/photo bomb type thing...You can decoupage paper or fabric in any combination/scheme you can come up with and then seal it.

The process is a lot like fiberglassing/tinting windows/vinyl wrapping...

One day i will apply the craft to something in my truck and post it, lol.

Or maybe someone will catch on and beat me to it :)

14. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Alright..so i went with suede because apparently noone around here carries tweed and im too impatient to order some lol. I started with the pillars to see how it would look..turned out not too bad for my first wrap. These are the steps i took...

1- after taking off the pillars.i wiped them down with a damp rag.

2- cut the pieces of fabric oversized to the pillar.

3- sprayed BOTH the pillar and fabric.let it dry for 3-4 minutes

4- layed the fabric over the pillars.worked from the middle to the sides getting what wrinkles were there out. Some spots u may have to touch up with more glue.

6- afterwards i trimmed the excess fabric off leaving about 1" ( no less ).glued and wrapped around.
    *TIP* - in the corners and curves..make slits n the fabric.puts less tension on the fabric n will keep it from popping up.

7- admired my work lol. I let it sit over night before putting back into my truck to air out. This way my truck wouldnt smell like glue.

Hope this helps anyone or hope this write makes sense. Will be attempting my panels tomorrow night. The headliner will be a challenge since i cant take it out. Found out theres no panel there...just metal roof then the original interior. So we'll see.
    Thanks for the inputs and advice fellas!

15. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Here r the pics

Attached Files:

16. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    More

Attached Files:

17. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Looks very nice. I have a couple tips to make this last and hold to the panels for a long time. First soap and water clean the panels, dry, then take a red scotch pad to the panel and just light pressure rub till the shine is out of the plastic. once complete take hot water and TSP (Shop TSP All Purpose Heavy Duty Cleaner at Lowes.com) and wipe part down. This is a heavy wax/grease remover and once this is done then lay glue to panel and fabric and let tack. Then apply fabric, shape and cut and enjoy then end result. Look forward to more progress.

LAYNLOW likes this.
  18. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    I was gonna use some type of degreaser but i didnt what it would do to the plastic. But good idea on the pad. I didnt even think of doing that. Thanks roach! Im pretty pleased with it.

19. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Ok. Got the panels done. Was not that bad tbh. The trickiest part was keeping the fabrice from touching while trying to lay it down by myself. Other then that wont to bad.

So here are my steps

1. Removed the 2 phillips head screws in arm rest.1 in the door latch. And 1 c clip holding the window handle on. Carefully popped the panels off.

2. Pulled off the old vinyl and scraped off the old foam.make sure to get the stitched part smooth..otherwise its a possibility of showing threw your fabric. I took a razor blade and carefully did it.make sure to get all the vinyl out from underneath the trim peice at the top. If not then it wont lay flat when u put in the new.

4. Layed my flames in place i cut out ( 1/4" foam ).once i figured the spot i layed them on the old vinyl, sprayed the flames then the panel. Let it tack up a few minutes then put in place.

5. Cut the fabric to size, allowing extra for wrap. Glued the fabric and panel. Let that tack up the layed it down. I started with the flames first, working the edges to get what air pockets were in there out. Then worked my way to the edges of the panel.

6. Once thats done. Flipped it over and trimmed it up.making slits for the plastic rivets and corners.glued/tacked/fit

7. Flipped it over. Carefully cut the openings for the doorhandle/window handle/doorlock and the 2 holes for the armrest.i went corner to corner for the window and handle and lock. Did the pizza cut for window. Flip back over glue/tack/fit

8. Carefully lifted the plastic trim at the top of panel and took a flathead screwdriver and pushed the fabric in place.

9. Checked it over, then put it on.

Some steps i didnt get pics of. But its simple enough to figure out without.

So there u go. Finished.in letting them air out a few days before putting back in. The headliner...i decided not to just bc of there not being a panel behind the vinyl. So hope yall like it. And thanks again for the tips! Ill take a pic of final install n a few days.

20. Johnno919

Johnno919 Member

Truck:
    22r 91 Xcab
    good write up mate, cant wait to try mine. im going to try some scraps as a practice piece first tho haha

LAYNLOW likes this.