Forum Dedicated to Toyota Stout, Hilux, and Pickup Owners

Toyota Pickup 1 Toyota Pickup 2 Toyota Pickup 3 Toyota Pickup 4

Go Back   Toyota Minis > 1984-1988 Pickups > 1984-1988 Pickup Discussion > Interior/Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #1

Truck: 90 longbed 2wd 22re

fuel gauge not working

my gauge is all hooked up in the back of the cluster. it reads full for about 40 miles or so i would say then just drops to zero gas i dont get it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Toyota Pickup Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0ta_man View Post
my gauge is all hooked up in the back of the cluster. it reads full for about 40 miles or so i would say then just drops to zero gas i dont get it
Sounds like possibly the sending unit inside the tank is bad, the winding on the sender the floats rubs up and down on to read the resistance may be worn, worn through, or broken
Old 01-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Veteran

Truck: 1983 SR5 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nook View Post
Sounds like possibly the sending unit inside the tank is bad, the winding on the sender the floats rubs up and down on to read the resistance may be worn, worn through, or broken
truth, my old 77 had a spot right in the middle where the wire was broken, gauge worked till it hit the half mark and then dropped to empty. I just lived with it and filled the tank after so many miles.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on Facebook
Old 01-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

Truck: 90 longbed 2wd 22re
NOOK how would i go about checking the read is there a way to get into my tank???
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0ta_man View Post
NOOK how would i go about checking the read is there a way to get into my tank???
Your gonna have to drop the fuel tank to access the fuel sender unit, on the newer trucks like yours (88)? there should be 2 cover plates on the top of the tank, the smaller one is the sending unit, the larger the fuel pump.
You would use an ohm meter to check the sender resistance as the float is moved up and down to determine if its good or bad.
Sponsored Links