86 toyota door panels

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Zwalker, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Zwalker

Zwalker Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 4x4 xcab
    I drive an 86 toyota pickup, its in some pretty rough shape but im looking to fix it up, the door panels are SHOT, id really like to replace them with some custom ones, some arm rests would be nice, how would i go about doing this?

2. Ratyota

Ratyota Newbie

Truck:
    1985 regular 22r
    You search on tha web for hours on end and maybe you'll find what you want but look everywhere ebay LCenginering just don't get impatient!!

3. Zwalker

Zwalker Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 4x4 xcab
    I'm more so looking to make them myself instead of buying replacements

4. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    Id found a good bit of parts on Ebay, but it might just be easier to make new panels cause finding interior parts for the 84-88 model trucks in good shape is hard! If you like billet parts-armrests & stuff like that then check out this site: www.candospecialties.com

5. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Toyota pickup doorpanels are hella easy to recover, just depends on what your looking to do. I use the website ( yourautotrim.com ) buy my own sculpting foam, backing, fabrics of choice and go from there. Choosing what you like is totally the hardest part, but doing a simple flat panel is as easy as rotating tires and easier than waxing your ride . . . Look at some diffferent model trucks and identify what you would like to do then get er' done. . . Goodluck, keep us posted . . .

6. Zwalker

Zwalker Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 4x4 xcab
    Thanks alot lownloud, thats exactly what i was looking for, never thought of sculpting out an arm rest. after i sculpt it out, how would i go about making it tough enough to withstand a little weight? my buddy said something about resin?

7. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Lil hint & everyone has different ways, products and stuff they use. Baisc designs of all sizes shapes can be made out of anything, think like framework of a house, you stick frame it then cover it up. The fiberglass/resin/bondo ideal is just the same, you make a sturdy mold up to your strength likings and follow any of 1,000's of techniques on making fiberglassed products or applications ( think fiberglass enclosures ) . . . What I usually do is build my basic jig or framwork with whatever is handy and suits my skeletal framework ( could be wood, metal, plastic, etc. ) then cover it in fleece and apply my fiberglass and matting, once Im happy with my " skin " I rough sand, and if I need it smooth I sand it down then apply bondo as needed ( depending on desired smoothness ) and sand er down. If your going to cover it with fabric, vinyl or whatever, you dont need to make it perfect. All in all, decide what you want and design the " framework " then fiberglass it ( according to directions or your personal likings ) and you can make anything you want outta that stuff. . .

8. Zwalker

Zwalker Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 4x4 xcab
    Build Steel Framework, cover in sculpt, then fleece, apply fiberglass, sand, the cover in fabric. sound about right?

(btw thanks for all ur help)

9. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    You GOT IT! and your very welcome, glad I could help, hit us up with any questions and well help the best we can, no BS, no drama, we'll just help ya get it built to YOUR likings . . .

10. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness

And this is why i love this site :)

Good advice man, ill be doing this on my next project.

11. slowlux

slowlux Newbie

Truck:
    '86 Hilux 2wd Diesel
    My door panels in my '86 are also shot. I talked to a guy at a Toyota wrecker yard, and he told me that finding decent orginal door panels is nearly impossible. It sounds like custom trims are the way to go!

12. Zwalker

Zwalker Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 4x4 xcab
    Ya, i seriously looked in about 5 junk yards and couldnt find ****, what i would like to know is, how do i go about getting a custom one to connect to my door lol?

13. DannyBoyRude

DannyBoyRude Veteran

Truck:
    these past days I have also been looking for door panels for my 86, with no luck.. I plan on making some door panels rather quickly... I'll post some pictures up..

14. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    A long time ago, I got a book for my birthday; How to build the cars of the Fast and the Furious. In it, they used aluminum and strengthened it with bead roller designs. Although we drive the 4x4's (and it should look great still with 4x2's) so I may just swap mine with my own custom-made diamond plate... THAT WOULD BE B****EN!!!:waytogo:

Just Saw, Grind, Drill, Repeat...

15. Rathole Hogan

Rathole Hogan Newbie

Truck:
    1984 4x4 standard cab
    Hell I just laid chrome 1/8 inch diamond plate

16. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    I have some REALLY .. really nice original Grey panels for sale

[email protected] (in Canada)

17. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    diggin the diamond plate, my first 82 pickup (kick my ass for getting rid of such a mint truck) i put diamond plate on the bottom kick panel area of doors, and cut it to fit in the factory dash plastic with a tab and slot holding all sides but the factory screw by steering, and same on other side for vent. and a normal centered cd player, and then (4wd steering wheel) did the same cut to fit diamond plate around the three horn buttons... dang.. :brickknock: :brickknock: .. now memory lane makes me feel dumb that i got rid of that truck.. never realize what you have until it's gone. lol

alright, enough post-whoring for me