Voltage Regulator issue

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Hazard, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Hazard

Hazard Member

Truck:
    '77 Pickup (automatic)
    Alternator in my '77 got replaced, but It's still not charging the battery. The voltage regulator appears to be entirely functional, but It's not doing it's job. Does anyone know where the fuse that powers the regulator is located? (or, if it's with the rest of the fuses, which one it is?)

2. Hazard

Hazard Member

Truck:
    '77 Pickup (automatic)
    Anyone?

3. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    I don't know if I can help you because I am only good with 79-83 Toyotas but Toyota does alot of similar things in their truck wiring even today. Typically the voltage regulator is powered off the ignition switch (Black-Yellow Wire) to an "ENGINE" fuse (RED Wire) to the Voltage Regulator. (White Wire) from the Voltage Regulator and Alternator (Large White Wire) goes to the Battery. A (Yellow Wire) goes to the Charge Light Relay Coil (If the Charge Light Relay is Installed) or directly to the Charge Warning Light if there is no Charge Light Relay. There is a Diode installed in the Charge Light Warning Light circuit and if the Diode is bad you will never shut off the Charge Warning light or it may never come on. Take an Automotive Ampmeter and check to see if your Alternator is charging your battery. If the battery is being charged you have a problem in the Charge Light circuit. If the battery is not being charged and you have power on the RED wire of the Voltage Regulator you have a problem with the Voltage Regulator or Alternator. I hope this helps some.

4. Hazard

Hazard Member

Truck:
    '77 Pickup (automatic)
    Thanks. I think the wire colorings are a bit different, but I'll take a look.

5. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Did you ever figure out your problem?