Gauge Swap

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by minidreaming, Sep 13, 2010.

1. minidreaming

minidreaming Enthusiast

Truck:
    83 Long Bed Deluxe
    Ok, so i am somewhat new to the electronics of these trucks. To make a long story short, I picked a 83 long bed deluxe on the cheap. Found the engine cooked and bought another 83 on the cheap (rusted out frame) for the engine. The more research I am doing i am discovering i got an even better deal. Although I would not drive on the rusted out frame truck long term, it is in really good shape, minus the frame being rusted. Plus I just discovered it is an sr5 model, which primarily is cool because of the extra interior benefits. So, finally for the question... the sr5 has the duel gauge that rests below the dash. I hate to do it, but since the frame of the long bed is in much better shape i am think about swapping anything i can from the sr5 to the deluxe. Will the duel gauge from the sr5 swap over the deluxe. I have to see what else I am getting, but I am hoping for tilt wheel etc. I do not have the truck with me right now, so i cannot look for sure, but i am excited by the possibilities. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks in advance

Also, if there are things that cannot switch over, i am going to be offering them for sale, if anyone is interested. I have everything from the truck except the bed, which rusted off the truck...ouch. Even the burnt engine.

2. minidreaming

minidreaming Enthusiast

Truck:
    83 Long Bed Deluxe
    Anybody out there with some ideas?

3. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i'm not positive on an 83, but on a 79 the sr5 guage will bolt into the basic truck dash, but the wiring is slightly different. worst case you'll need to move the wires around, or maybe swap the sr5 harness into the deluxe cab.

4. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    93-2wd 2.5/3drop, 87-4wd22RTE, 06GTOls2, 08FJCruiserTT(Daily)
    Start pulling parts of the bad frame truck and if you like any part (like the dual gauges) try it on the longbed... If it plugs right in with minimal modification your good! If it doesn't fit try to sell it

On a side note I am looking for just the cab of a 79-83 truck.... Any chance you can bring it to NJ?
    (8

5. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Ive got the two guage thing swapped into my truck. The volt meter is self explainitory. Give it switched 12V.

The oil pressure NEEDS A DIFFERENT SENDER. It will cook the second you plug it in if you dont.

Ive tried swapping the cluster, but my coil fried the tach as soon as it ran.

Just sayin be careful with those guages.:waytogo:

6. minidreaming

minidreaming Enthusiast

Truck:
    83 Long Bed Deluxe

I am not sure I could bring it to NJ, but I could meet half way for the right price :D

7. minidreaming

minidreaming Enthusiast

Truck:
    83 Long Bed Deluxe
    I would love to get some of those things working, so I will have to have a closer look at them once I get both trucks in the same place. I hope to have it running today, so we will see what happens. Hopefully I can look at them this weekend. worse case scenario, i can swap out the whole wiring harnesss. never done it before, but it could be a good learning chance. Anyone ever done something like that before, is it that difficult?

8. minidreaming

minidreaming Enthusiast

Truck:
    83 Long Bed Deluxe
    Ill def be careful with them. I am too worried about the, i can just sell them off. I am sure there is someone out there that would want some sr5 gauges :evil: