carbs!

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by 22R_All_Motor!, May 12, 2010.

1. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    damn dudes... i suggest that if you are going to buy a brand new carb, buy a weber, they are cheaper than factory Toyota carbs... they run for about $400!! i couldn't find one for cheaper!.. maybe craigslist, but naahhh... i wouldn't buy it from there... i'd buy a new weber carb.. cheaper like $100... so yeah... what you guys think??

2. priusjames

priusjames Enthusiast

Truck:
    75 Hi-lux
    I'm going to start by rebuilding my own with a $30 kit. If that doesn't work, then it's Weber 32/36.

Thank goodness my truck's pre-smog...

3. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    they are on craigslist for 175-200 all the time here in san diego, and a rebuilt kit is 15 bucks on webercarbparts.com

plus since you are pre smog you can get rid off all the vacume lines and just one the one to your brake booster...i dont see why you would even bother rebuilding the stocker...

plus the weber get better gas mileage and power too

4. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
  5. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    yeah. stock carbs are junk. complex, cant be tuned or rejetted, require adapters to run the larger 22 carb on a 20 (which isnt better, just bigger). a weber in proper tuning (which they are out of the box, just need a few adjustments) is the way to go. 32/36 for stock motors. 38/38 if you plan to do porting, big header, cam, ect. i should have gone 38/38 from the start. but the 32/36 is bullet proof. and easy to rebuild. im going to do a writeup on rejetting them tomorrow.

6. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    yea. see this is what i was talking about :)... i don;t know much about rebuilding carbs but shouldn't be too complex seeing my dad did it with no dam books and no automotive tech certification of any kind o_O.. so yeah.. i'll start rebuilding one oneday... i did it for a small tecumseh engine... cleaned it and all.. LAWL!!... so hope to start soon... lolz... any carb.. haha... ehh idk what else to throw in this damn thread...

7. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    I got my Weber 32/36 for free off Craigslist... Now I just need an adapter and whatever linkage kit is available. I should probably regasket it as well. Simple, simple...

8. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    ill do a writeup today on jetting. im picking up my jet kit at the shop in a bit.

9. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    good. i need to rejet my secondary..at WOT i get a lean kick..sux

10. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    wtf is wot?

11. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    wide open throttle

12. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    oooo ok thanks!

13. dubya's82

dubya's82 Member

Truck:
    1982 2wd long wheelbase pickup
    brother i wish my truck was pre-smog! it took me over a year's worth of trial and error to get my truck to idle...and thats an understatement! i drove it that whole time having to keep my foot on the throttle (or else it would die), plus operate the transmission, brake, drive all at the same time lol, it ran rough as a night in jail....this was my senior year in highschool aswell hahaa

i replaced the carb, 3 times...went through over 5 mechanics and thousands of dollars..

long story short, i realized that there was a small emission control box under the dash on the driver's side kickpanel that had a plug into it from the wiring harness that if i pushed it in (applied pressure to the plug) that my truck would miraculously run like brand new!

my mom works at a steel mill, with a genius old man who overheard her telling this story in the break room...told her to have me bring him the box, i removed it, got it in a bag the next day laying on the corner of my bed...put it back in, and crossed my fingers, turned the key over and the truck idled like brand new!!! it has never let me down since:clapping: