Sanding/Primer Truck

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Toyota530, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Toyota530

Toyota530 Veteran

Truck:
    94 toy xcab
    Ok, so im hating my paint job but mainly my bed side dents and side door, it looks horrible when the sun is hitting it, looks like the rocky mountains lol.

I wanna sand it down and just primer it and bando

I need tips and what tools i'm gonna need....?

Like i'm thinking of sanding it down with a block to metal, but i'm a bit concern about areas like the under the hood and engine area and like areas you can't do with a block, how can i get the paint off? would it be better for the shop to sand blast all the areas or the areas i couldn't get and primer it or myself? I'm also in a budget so... any tips would help:eyecrazy:

2. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    if you want to go to bare metal, forget doing it by hand.

your talking MONTHS of work right there.

i would just get a block and some 180ish grit paper, and scuff the whole truck. then bondo as needed, AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. then primer n paint.

id only go down to bare metal where you have to, like a old thick cracking bondo patch or a rusty patch that needs repair.

if your serious about going to bare metal, a angle grinder with a flap disc will eat the paint quick, or a wire brush on a angle grinder works really well too.

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    but with those methods, be caredful you dont heat up the metal too much. you can warp it that way. like he said, if it doesnt need to go to bare metal youre better off not doing it.

4. Evolmotorsports

Evolmotorsports Veteran

Truck:
    1987 RN50 Hilux
    The best way to get to metal without removing any metal and causing you more body work is a chemstrip, quick, easy, and super messy. Remember though if you go down to metal you need to use etching primer on the metal first. All you need is gloves, goggles, old clothes, strip, wire brush and water.:)

5. '80yota

'80yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    '80 Sr5 Long bed
    if your adiment on getting to bare metal get this product
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...ps-_-gps-_-SUPER STRIP 1-Gallon Paint Remover

spread it on and wait a bit... The stuff is amazing. and holds on vertical surfaces well.

But again, there is real no need to go to bare metal unless you have major rust problem in that spot or old bondo job cracking.

I would just recomend getting a good size block and sanding it a bunch that way. Locate any dents and use a filler (I personally WOULD NOT recomend bondo brand. Go to a body shop and ask about flexible fillers.)

apply and sand apply and sand etc. until you get to the desired condition.

use some good primer. and get that on then sand again.

Then spray out the paint.

6. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i usually run some 36 grit anywhere i'm gunna be putting filler so it has some bite to it.

but i seem to remember reading that some companies are recommending applying over a coat of primer so that it has a mechanical and chemical bond.

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    auto body supply places usually sell to the public too. rage brand is good for a budget. but there are alot of brands. just dont buy bondo brand. a long sanding block, looks like a plastic 2x4 with handles is gonna make it look very good for the bigger areas. longer block means less waves from sanding patterns.

8. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    you'll also want to use a cross hatch (diagonal) pattern when sanding the panels. not up/down, left/right.

and if you have a compressor a straight line sander makes for super easy/fast work!

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    good point. and when youre blocking it down, use a layer of guide coat. they have special stuff that sands off easy, but a mist of a contrastic color of spray paint does okay. just go light, it tends to clog the paper and sand off a little tougher. or a different color of bomb primer works nice. if an area sands off faster than the rest, its high and needs to be addressed. if spots are left when the rest is all clear, its low, and again, take care of it. if its really mild, you might be able to tap it up or down with hammers and dollies and then re block it. which is okay if its real close and you used good filler.

and quick lesson on filler, if you sand it with 36-80 for the rough pass it makes life way easier. there is also a certain point before its fully cured sometimes known as the green zone. its when its cured enough to sand and hold a shape, but isnt totally hardened yet. thats the best time to get the main shape and surface you want. otherwise its a lot tougher to sand down.

10. Toyota530

Toyota530 Veteran

Truck:
    94 toy xcab
    thanks guys for all that great info... looks like bondo aint the way to go huh, so probably wont go metal, but i want to prep it so basically gonna sand it and primer its but what do you use to primer and what color because i'm gonna paint it dark candy red, will grey primer work..? Does it matter if its spray gun or spray cans...? How would i get the areas like the inside of the door and sides and like the hood and motor areas?