Lift kit

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Whiteboy4, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Whiteboy4

Whiteboy4 Newbie

How can I raise my 2wd 1992 toyota pickup

2. justaguy

justaguy Member

Truck:
    75 hilux, 84 xtra cab, 86 1 ton, 87 xtra cab 4x4
    Ummm... Here's a silly question. Why would you wanna lift a 2wd? Are you going to turn it into a pre runner?

I suppose it would essentially be the same as lifting a 4wd. Taller springs in the rear, not positive on the front although I know ifs lift kits are rather spendy

3. Whiteboy4

Whiteboy4 Newbie

I just wanna lift the front to match the back for ground clearance

4. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    If you just want to lift it a little bit, you can crank the torsion bars to get a front lift. Its simple and free, however I strongly recommend getting an alignment done afterwards so it doesnt chew up tires. It should easily lift the truck up to 2 or more inches.

5. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    :brickknock:
    The term prerunner is just as bad as the term rat rod. Both get misused and thrown out there by people who don't really know the true meanings.

The bad thing about just cranking up the torsions is it will ride like a dump truck because you are basically increasing the spring rate.
    You can pick up a set of 2wd balljoint spacers from SDORI.com SDORI is committed to to finding new and innovative ways to enhance the performance  of 1st and 2nd generation Toyota trucks and and they will allow you to crank the torsions up and not have as stiff of a ride. You can also try to find a set of downey or fabtech upper control arms. They will lift a little more then factory arms and be a little more capable in he dirt. Lastly, you could try and find a set of lift spindles. Unfortunately, downey is out of busness and fabtech no longer makes anything for our year trucks so it will most likely have to be all used stuff.
    This place makes lift spindles but i have heard a few bad things about them taking peoples money 84-95 TOYOTA PICK UP LIFT SPINDLES __ 4" LIFT SPINDLES
    you can also try looking on racrdezert.com classifieds toyota stuff pops up on there pretty often.
    And yes you will need an alignment after you do anything to the suspension.

6. Whiteboy4

Whiteboy4 Newbie

I tryd the torsion bars an didn't lift it all that much at all

7. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
  8. justaguy

justaguy Member

Truck:
    75 hilux, 84 xtra cab, 86 1 ton, 87 xtra cab 4x4
    Care to enlighten the less informed?

9. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    A "pre runner" is any vehicle used to pre run a race coarse before the start. It doesnt have to be a lifted 2wd truck, it doesnt even have to be a truck. It can be anything, car, truck, dirt bike, segway. If its used to map out the coarse, its a pre runner. A lot of desert racing teams used to make a cheaper (a lot of times 2wd) truck to pre run the race so they didnt brake the race truck and then not start. So unless your vehicle has pre ran a race coarse, its not...

The term "rat rod" is now used to describe almost anything that isnt finished and shinny. In reality, people are mimicking (a lot of times badly) the early traditional hot rods by purposely making the cars look like rusting piles of crap. Back in the day before all the aftermarket was around, the first true hot rodders used what was available to them. A lot of them just wanted to go fast and didnt care how it looked so thats why they had bad paint and rust and mismatched parts.

Both terms annoy the crap out of me and its a pet peeve of mine.

10. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    I think the whole idea of a "rat rod" is a bastardization of what the early hot rodding days were all about. And yes, the term, and the cars annoy me.
    In hot rodding's early days, yes, hot rodders DID cobble parts together and cars were often-times rusty or bad paint. However, VERY few of the owners cared to keep them that way and let them rust into nothing. The old rusty car was just a step in the evolution of the car as the rodder worked on it.
    I see rat rodders as "Faux Rodders" much like the douche bags that buy $1000 pairs of jeans that are pre-ripped and faded to look like they are old, Mc Mansions with fake stone pillars made of particle board or the hipsters who live like its the 1950's.
    You aren't having it like it WAS back then. Its how you THINK it was. a fake version of history.
    Take our trucks as an example: Some of the trucks on here are rusty, but I doubt there are many who will say "I want to let my truck rust until its falling apart and no longer operational." No, they have plans to fix it up and eventually make it theyre version of nice.
    Ok, off the soap box.