I want more power

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by AF Yota, Jun 17, 2014.

1. AF Yota

AF Yota Newbie

Truck:
    94 pickup xcab
    I just want to be able to get some more power out of my 22re. Im on a low budget so an engine swap will have to be saved for later. I heard about bolting a late 80's Mazda trans to the engine but will that even work?

2. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    What's the reasoning for swapping to a Mazda trans?:confused: Some easy simple things to consider. ....... intake and exhaust. Get that thing breathing better. :waytogo:

3. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    To add to LilRed93....gearing gearing gearing. A rear end swap is cheap, straightforward, and will put the power you do have in the range you want it.

4. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    :lol:
    Sorry, its just not going to happen. The power gained by dollar spent on these engines is just not scaled that way. Do like LilRed said and help it breath better, and that will be the cheapest you can do and you might gain a hp or two.

5. 93TILinfinity

93TILinfinity Veteran

Truck:
    1993 Toyota pickup 2wd 4cyl 5speed cab and a half standard bed
    I noticed more power with just the intake. You can get one for less than 100 on eBay

6. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Lift the hood and carefully remove the radiator cap. Make sure the engine is cool so as not to burn yourself. While holding up the radiator cap, have a friend start and slowly back the truck up and out of the way, then have another friend slowly pull a Mustang or Camaro with its hood lifted and its radiator cap removed into place where the truck was. tighten down the radiator cap. VIOLA! Instant V-8 power and handling! :p
    Ok, seriously, if you want to up the "butt dyno" power feel of the truck on a budget, than gearing is where its at. Keep in mind that you can gain serious "oomph!" with gearing, but those quick takeoffs will lead to high revs at highway speeds. the good part is from what I understand, there isn't much difference in the rear diffs for our 2wd trucks and 4wd trucks, so you may be able to find a 4wheeler that ran 44's and buy his whole diff for cheap and swap it out. Someone chime in if I'm wrong on this. Other than that you have few options for making the truck faster without pouring money into it. Junk yard stock turbos from another car, nitrous and exhaust come to mind as well as head porting.

7. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Ha ha sounds like I need to switch radiator caps lol. One other thing is, you can put a cam in as well just don't go too big cuz your stock valve train can't take too much lift. That can be cheap if you can afford to do it yourself. So intake with full exhaust and a cam should work out nicely. Just do some homework so you can get everything to match up so you don't starve the engine for fuel or air or grenading your engine.:waytogo:

8. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    4x4 rear gears can only be used if you have the 8'' rear axle. Most 2wds came with the 7.5'' axle though. I believe if your truck came with a 4spd trans or a v6 it got the 8''. For the 7.5'' axle, I've read you can use a certain year supra stuff and gain a LSD but I'm not sure what years.

9. silverblazer50

silverblazer50 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1994 reg cab
    What's your budget?

10. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    HP cost $ plain & simple,it's that way with any engine!!
    These little 4 bangers have plenty to offer, you just have to commit to doing it,if you really want more power!!:cool:

11. AF Yota

AF Yota Newbie

Truck:
    94 pickup xcab
    What would be a good brand to look for when it comes to air intakes? Sorry im new to fixing up my truck and i dont know much

12. AF Yota

AF Yota Newbie

Truck:
    94 pickup xcab
    my buddy told me about swapping a t100 rear axle. Is that true?

13. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    If you are going to do a gearing change ,just change out the 3rd member,no need to change the whole axle!:cool:

14. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    t100 axles are much wider then pickup axles and will push your tires way out side the rear fenders.

15. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    True, but then you could run 40inch wheels on stock suspension and not have to do any trimming at all. Think of it as a semi-lazy mans donk. :looney:

16. moonbeam

moonbeam Member

Truck:
    94 std cab 2X4
    Like an old racer once said "speed is a matter of money how fast can you afford to go". Maybe a V8 swap is in your near future if you want more horsepower. Best of luck to you!

17. AF Yota

AF Yota Newbie

Truck:
    94 pickup xcab
    Thanks for all the advice. Ill start with a new intake and a K&N 5 inch filter

18. silverblazer50

Truck:
    1994 reg cab
    I am In The process of doing mine, eb 270/430 cam, his performance head with the bigger valves, ported and polished, and obx header with 2 1/4 borla exhaust. My buddy has a dyno, I'll let you know what it does when finished. Eb said I should be in the 140ish hp.

19. gixonemil

gixonemil Member

My opinion = save up and get a 1UZFE swap.

Dont get me wrong, these 22RE engines are awesome and fun to work on. Pretty straight forward, simple, and very reliable.. that's pretty much it in IMHO :).. I had a great time swapping the head last year.. But then again, to each their own ;)..

20. silverblazer50

Truck:
    1994 reg cab
    If I hadn't already bout all the 22re parts, would be doing a 1uz swap. There is a right up somewhere of somebody doing this. YouTube has a lot of videos on it also.