A43D Tranny Replacement - Options?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by rokuk, Apr 16, 2014.

1. rokuk

rokuk Newbie

Hi there.

My 2x4 1992 pickup (22RE) xtra-cab has a A43D tranny that won't go into overdrive anymore. Truck has been tested by two different places, and they both came to the same conclusion: it seems like everything else has been ruled out except for the tranny itself (temp sensor, ECU, etc.).

I'm looking at possibly finding a used tranny somewhere to drop in, but I've heard people talking about replacing auto trannys with manual ones. I didn't realize trannys were compatible / interchangeable.

I don't really want a manual, but are there any other auto trannys that are compatible with the above truck I can be looking for and that I could swap in? I haven't seen too many A43D's listed in the places I'm looking, but I'm wondering if I can look for anything else that might be available instead? It sounds like people are possibly even pulling compatible trannys from different models altogether (Tacomas?) so I wonder if there are any other autos that won't require a lot of modification to use instead of needing to find another A43D. My usual garage mentioned they would drop a used tranny in for me, but I'd need to find it myself.

I did some searches online and in this forum, but I couldn't find a list of what trannys would work in which vehicles. Not sure if that exists anywhere.

Thanks for any and all help!!

2. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Where are you located? I can call around and see if I can find one. If you decide to swap, I might be interested in your old one to rebuild.

3. rokuk

rokuk Newbie

message sent to you!

I *maybe* recently found one at a yard that is $400, does that seem decent? 30 day return policy.

problem is, they say it came from a '93 pickup and is an automatic that they bench tested, but they don't know the model it is. All they can give me is that the part # = 3500035760. I called a Toyota dealership, and the guy told me all he can tell me with that is that it tells him it is "model code rn90 4HC" - which means nothing to me because it doesn't seem to be any of the other tranny types. So I'm guessing it's something else.

Any way I can figure out the tranny model from the part number or the toyota "model code?"

Thanks. And let me know if you'd still be interested in the old one via PM. If I swap in one and it works out, I won't be needing it.

4. rokuk

rokuk Newbie

Is it possible to find out what kind of transmission this is by just knowing the part number or model code? I'm not sure if it's another A43D, or an A340E/F/H etc...