22r rebuild

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by NotAvailable, Dec 18, 2009.

1. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    90 single cab bagged and bodied
    Hey guys its around that time that I start tearing my motor apart...I have 163,000 miles on my motor and I see some leaks from someplaces and it bothers me so I think its time for a rebuild...I have never done a rebuild bymyself or even attempted to completely tear apart a running motor and putting it back together...I was hoping to get some advice and tips to look out for since it'll be my first rebuild...any thing helps...thanks guys...

2. jimbyjimb

jimbyjimb Newbie

Truck:
    1976 SR5 Pickup
    You shouldn't have to rebuild the motor simply because it's leaking. As long as it has good compresion and runs well there isn't any need to do anything other than replace gaskets, unless the leaks have to do with block/head damage. A 22R should be able to go plenty beyond 163,000 miles.

3. Toyo Trucker

Toyo Trucker Addict

Please do a thread on the motor re-build. I need to do one myself. Knowledge of your journey would greatly help me during mine. Thanks in advance.

4. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    I like to use zip lock bags to label and organize everything that I take apart. I rebuilt my first motor last year and with basic engine knowledge, you should be fine. I did do alot of reading online.
    [​IMG]

5. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    wat motor is that in ur truck?....l20? OMG.....yeah i got the knowledge but some people say its hard some people say it was so easy a cave man could do it...****...idk yet zip lock bags and zip ties are my best friend..haha i think i might do a full blown how to n my engine rebuild and overhaul...but im shame because i might do something differently n get ragged on:rolleyes2:....lol..but thanks guys..

6. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    what i found to be easier and neater than zip lock bags is to unscrew bolts and nuts from wherever you got them from and once the part is removed, put the bolts/nuts back on the threads of where it came from....... no confusion on where it came from or what size bolt needs to go where.

on the 22r...... its important to keep the bolts that come off the timing cover in the right place cus there are a few crucial clearance ones...... i unbolted everything but kept the bolts in place as i took the cover off, then laid the cover flat so the bolts sat in the holes and placed it in a box face up.

oil pan bolts are easy to ID so i put em in a bag. once you get into the internals, i undid one piston and rod at a time and reconnected the caps to the rods and so forth....... its pretty simple. the toyota FSM will help you greatly. chiltons and clymers are ok books but can be vauge at times in descriptions....

most importantly....... take your time. its not Orange County Choppers or west side customs etc...... there's no deadline rush. just enjoy the build and take it easy. if you run into an issue, come on here and ask. thats what the forums are for :waytogo:

7. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    The pic is my mazda b2200 work truck. Number 3 cylinder had some blow by caused by bad rings so I decided to put new bearings, piston rings and valve seals. The only thing that went to the machine shop was the head. Everything else was still in good shape with only 70k on the odometer. My cylinders still had cross hatch markings when I took it apart. I did use a flex hone tool to refresh the cylinders.
    [​IMG]

Why you shame? Ask questions, do some research and pick the best option. Heres one mistake I made. I broke my brand new rings when installing the piston. It was a $100 mistake but now I know not to force a piston in if its stuck. Made me learn real quick.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  8. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    how long did this take you to do all the work? i was looking at 2months because i will be slowly working on itr and slowly buying parts...is that a bad idea?

9. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    thanks ill take my time definately and i wil ask alot of questions...lol,...thanks guys:waytogo:

10. JDSnake

JDSnake Veteran

Truck:
    79 longbed
    I'd still reconmend you go to a machine shop. Unless you have all the bore gauges. And while you are there get the deck checked, and have em hot tank it. Since you are rebuilding, you might as well have a pretty engine. Since it is a running engine, it is probably fine, but better safe than sorry

11. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    ^^yup, your machine shop can measure and tell you what size piston, rings and bearings you will need. You never know if it has been rebuilt before.

12. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    time wise....... if i had a full weekend and all the tools, parts, and items needed..... i can build one from bare block to light off within 3 days...... but ive done a few so you get better.

my actual down time for my truck till the day i lit it off was around 3 months time. i had a very limited budget during pay weeks and thats what extended my time.

13. RandomHumanBein

RandomHumanBein Member

Truck:
    '88 Base model
    too back up what Jimby said, a complete overhaul on a 22r at that kinda mileage seems silly. I would fix the gasket, wipe up the oil, and let her roll.

My motor is about to turn over 344k, and with only a minor oil seep. It pulls like no joke 2000-5000 rpm.

I'm not gonna bother with it now, since im just gonna drive it while i rebuild its replacement (Chevy 350):D

God help me and my soon to be traction problems.

14. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    i totally understand where you are coming from about the rebuild...yeah its just a leak but i didnt mention that im spitting white smoke and from what i know thats burning oil...what do you guys think? i really appreciate the help...

i will send everything to a machine shop to get decked and checked and hot tanked and the whole nine yARDs...i will replace almost everything on the motor so she can look pretty...i want to make it pretty so itll go along with the rest of the truck later....

15. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    mine had 156k when the gasket blew....... when i took it appart it was a tough choice. only a few more bolts and the rest of the motor popped out.

i knew if i really wanted, all i had to do was just slap a gasket, maybe resurface the head and have at it again and be good for another 100k..... thing is i wanted more out of the motor and if i was gonna beat on it as i have been, it wouldnt last for too long before something started giving way...... so i just took it all out and refreshed it all.

that was my choice....... you just gotta decide what you wanna get out of it and go from there.

16. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    im taking ur route..i want it to be so fresh so that theres that much less of a chance of something bad happening...

17. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
  18. JDSnake

JDSnake Veteran

Truck:
    79 longbed
    If you are really set on this course. Then start getting prepared. Have a place to keep the truck. I know it sounds stupid but, I have had to rescue friends rides because they lost there space. Also have another ride. This is a must. Rebuilds are pretty straight forward, but delays do happen. Rebuilding is all about checking twice. And feeling presured or rushed can lead to mistakes. There is only a couple tools that you will need. A Torque wrench is a must. A engine stand helps but is not mandatory. A clean work space is mandatory. You can build one outside but is not reconmended. Especially if you live in the southwest like me. Dust is constantly blowing. I used to do the work in the house, till I got married and the wife took over my house. A book that shows the torque specs is allso a must.

Assembly lube is your friend. Don't be afraid to use it. I've never heard anyone say they used to much lube. Other small mistakes I've seen people do. The gaps in the rings are not supposed to line up. Keep bearing caps numbered. They are line bored so they only go where they came from. If a part has a arrow stamped into it, make sure it is facing the right way. Sounds simple, but I've seen people make these mistakes.

Another piece of advice. If you are angry or stressed that day. Don't touch it, if you get upset or frustrated, walk away. Having a pissed off throw it together attitude is not a good idea.

19. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
  20. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    Alll I can say is damn that motor is beautiful....my truck smokes a lot on the initial gas from 0-10mph...like wen u change gears and step on the gas again she smokes....I think its the head that's bad...thanks a lot for all the help and advice I will however to a complete tear down...and ill check out that head on ebay ushowed me...thanks bro