1990 22R Aisan carb cold start issues

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by kursed, Mar 4, 2015.

1. kursed

kursed Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 2wd Standard Cab
    Getting ready to purchase a 90 standard cab 2wd from my friend. While talking to him the other day I found out he recently rebuilt the stock Aisan carb and has had some cold start problems with it.

He couldn't remember if it was vacuum or electric choke, but we're both assuming it's electric.

First thing I need to check is voltage to the choke obviously, but what I'm wondering is is the Aisan electric choke adjustable. I've read conflicting info online at various sites. Some people say it's non adjustable, others say it is.

I'm used to rebuilding Holley, Rochester, and AFB style carbs, but have never messed with a Japanese style like an Aisan. Anyone here have an electric choke Aisan and know if it's adjustable? If it's similar to the Holley, they have three screws on the choke control housing that can be loosened, then you simply rotate the control housing in either direction for adjustment.

Here are the only pics he could find from back when he rebuilt it. Doubt they'll be of much help, but I'll throw them out there anyway.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but they only did electric and coolant choke. It's most likely an electric choke and should be adjustable either way.

3. kursed

kursed Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 2wd Standard Cab

Cool deal, thanks for the heads up. Hopefully someone that has one will chime in for sure.

4. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    It's electric and odds are it is still riveted and non adjustable. But once you drill out the rivets it's easy to either tap the holed for machine screws or simply use sheet metal screws.

It's been awhile since I've messed with a stock carb but I think there is a little plastic tab on the choke housing that needs to be shaved off before it can be adjusted.

I fought cold start, stumbling off idle and lean surge issues for so long with the factory carbs trying every vacuum diagram I could find and ended up tossing the stockers for a weber every single time. :lol:

5. kursed

kursed Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 2wd Standard Cab
    Found these pics on FleaBay. Looks adjustable to me. Looks like there are screws and adjustment notches on the choke spring servo.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    That carb only has 2 screws and they don't match. :lol:

Yes there are adjustment marks from the factory, but like I said they are riveted from the factory and easily made adjustable.

7. kursed

kursed Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 2wd Standard Cab
    Cool deal pickle. I can resolve that then. Thanks for the info.