Weber modification

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by rabbit.arrow, Sep 24, 2014.

1. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    1986 carb shortbed Pickup
    Does anyone have any info on the Weber smog legal kit? (like LCE 1030063 ) The reason I ask is, I believe, a modification that can be done to the Weber 32/36 that I've never heard of anyone doing...

In this kit the Weber 32/36 is modified at the factory to fit the stock 22r manifold. The modification, I'm told, is the mounting holes are elongated (something like .005in) to match up with the stock manifold.

Now LCE has told me that I can modify the carb myself (easily). My question is: Why have I heard so many people complaining about the issues with their carb adapters, but I've never heard of anyone modifying the Weber in this way?

The only good I see in having the spiral(LCE)/Trans-dapt/redline adapter would be performance (longer plenum was said to be a performance factor by LCE tech)...

The LCE tech suggested that modifying ANY Weber 32/36 with a file or Dremel tool would be simple and that would allow the carb to mount directly to the intake manifold. For reals? Why doesn't everyone know about this?

I don't want to botch this one...so any info would be great! I can't imagine I'm the first to hear about this...let alone, consider trying it...

_Quickfox likes this.
  2. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    It does seem easy...once I have the carb next to the manifold, modifying the Weber's mounting holes should be a breeze...but I'm suspicious of this because I would think if it was so easy, why wouldn't I find info on this mod? Seems to me that everyone with two-piece adapter problems was one free mod away from Weber bliss...what am I missing?

3. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    Here's some pics of the smog legal 22r Weber, showing the bottom of Weber and also no adapter included.

Attached Files:

4. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    I dunno. Looks like the bore spacing is too wide to mount directly on a 20R intake manifold and that you'd need to grind out the intake manifold as well.

I just checked the Redline Weber website and all of their 20R and 22R kits are shown with a one- or two-piece adapter.

Also, I don't think they have a 22R smog legal kit. At least not on their website.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  5. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    I got this info from LCE and those pics from LCE too.

They said all needed to be done was elongate the holes one the Weber about .005in.

Oh and its 22r not 20r...I'm not sure I should trust these guys...but also the kit is pretty expensive and if I can just modify a 32/36 to fit with no adapter (2-peice from Weber, spiral form LCE, or HUGE 1-peice from trans-dapt) I will!

The tech at LCE suggested this whole scenario...first it was the smog legal kit...then it was that I could do the same mod that the factory does for that kit (which is elongate the mounting holes "about .005in"...I want to believe this is true because it would give me exactly what I want...which is...

stock manifold
    Weber 32/36
    stock air cleaner
    EGR fake out (blocked off but mocked up)

I want to pass the visual inpection at the smog test in Tucson, AZ...and the smog legal kit (is said to) bolt directly to intake manifold...thus giving the quick glance inspection the idea that it is legal (a carb adapter or spacer would be a red flag, and having the stock air filter assembly is a must)

The kit 1030063 from LCE (Webers kit not LCE, just sold through LCE) is made for '81-'84, but I was assured that it would bolt right on to my '86 22r intake (and then that I could also modify any other Weber 32/36 to eliminate any need for an adapter)...I'm hard pressed to find any info on these smog legal kits though...like some one using one...or installing one on a stock intake without an adapter...

6. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    HELP! Need to get a Weber to pass my visual inspection! LCE is confusing me...

If I can mount the carb directly that will give me a desirable stack height (and no red flag adapter), then the stock air cleaner assembly, and fake EGR hook up...I should pass emissions...but is LCE just making stuff up (or wrong) about Webers that can mount directly to the 22r intake manifold?

7. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    My mistake. I re-checked the Redline Weber site and they do have 22R kits (I didn't scroll down far enough the first time). According to their footnotes, it requires "minor installation modifications" for installation. Perhaps this is the grinding out part? Maybe you should contact Redline and ask them about their kits.

I didn't know AZ required visual inspection; I thought it was only California that did that nonsense...

Would you need a California E.O. number as well? Because Redline's kits are only for 81~83 (2WD) or 81~84 (4X4) trucks...

8. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    word...maybe they mean modify the intake too...idk

9. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    Man, I don't get Redlines website, where does it say "minor installation modifications"? And is all their pricing and ordering done on ebay or email or phone...their site doesn't really explain anything...

Also, LCE answers their phone...getting a response from Redline is like pulling teeth (called and left msg.)

so just talked to LCE again...got a custom 32/36 kit lined up:
    its 1030021
    subtract:
    Weber filter (1034036)
    2-peice adapter (1033027...I guess)
    add:
    fuel pressure regulator (1035056)
    stock filter adapter (1033036)

The kit is about 470 bucks...once I convince myself that the carb CAN be modified to fit the intake without the adapter, I will most likely go with that...

10. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    If I find a ebay Redline kit, and then get the FPR and stock filter adapter from LCE it may be cheaper...but I feel like I could hold LCE responsible if the mod wont work...IDK how to deal with Redline's customer service, but I've been talking to LCE all day (they do seem helpful and knowledgeable, though I have heard lots against LCE...like their d!cks or expensive, but also I've heard that they make good products...)

11. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    Bump for anyone out there who knows anything about the smog legal '81-'84 kit here, or any info or experience with modifying a Weber 32/36 to fit on the stock manifold!

12. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    You're on the correct page.

In the "Kit #" column, look for kit #K8749. There are two footnote numbers, #2 and #4. The footnotes are at the very bottom of the page and #4 says, "4.All kits require minor installation modifications and basic mechanical skills and hand tools."

13. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    I want so bad for this mod to be true!!!! .005 of an inch elongation of Weber 32/36 mounting holes would be a super common mod I'm sure, if known, that would save a lot of people from the issues of carb to intake adapters; Let alone be a good way for me to disguise a Weber on a '86 in Tucson, AZ...which, yes, by the way, there is a glance at the engine bay during the visual inspection...I believe what they are looking for is stuff that looks aftermarket, are the emissions equipment in place?, damage to stuff(?), and whatever else I'm forgetting. They look under the car, under the hood, at the fuel cap, and at the dash; They also test at idle and at 25mph or so.

14. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    But there is no need for an emissions tag or E.O.#... Do a lot of people in Cali register vehicles outside of the state to avoid emissions?

15. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    I'm waiting for a response from Redline, I may soon uncover the Holy Grail of Weber modification! Can I get a hallelujah!?! ...or a woot woot for .005in off and no more adapters?

16. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Not to burst any bubbles but the Weber bolt pattern is more then .005" smaller.. You can visually see that the holes are closer both ways, the long side and the short side.

I'll see if I can get a measurement of a weber base and a 22r intake bolt pattern

After a quick measurement using a weber gasket and 22r intake, the bolts holes for the weber are roughly .25" closer on the small side and .125" on the long side. I don't have a spare weber to see how much would have to be ground off

17. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    Very helpful! Thank you, first80toyota! I doubted it from the second he told me...but I will continue to dig, I still want it to be true! But to update a little when I was on the phone with Redline they seemed to think that it was doable...just waiting for reply from email...

From the measurements you took, it doesn't seem that close. I don't see how it could be .005in...but maybe filed out to fit...doubtful tho...prolly why I thought I would have seen it done before, cuz it ain't true...I will get to the bottom of this...

Even still maybe the smog legal 32/36's do bolt straight to the intake...in which case would serve my purpose.

18. rabbit.arrow

rabbit.arrow Member

Truck:
    Believe me I would love to call BS on LCE...I would also love for this to be the real deal, cuz it would be a big deal, but my first feeling was that it couldn't be true and it's looking like a mythbusted kinda day of searching.

19. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    Cars older than 1976 are exempt from smog check.

Up until the year OBD2 was mandated, it was relatively easy to find a "friendly" shop. With OBD2, you have to plug your car into the computer and it will know if the correct car is being smogged.

Or, you swap engines/equipment every two years. But that gets old after a while. PLUS, if your model or specific car somehow happens to get flagged as a possible gross polluter, you get to have your car smogged annually.

And I suppose there are people who register their cars out of state. After the last recession, I was even thinking of buying a cheap Las Vegas condo so I could use the address (I also go to Vegas a lot so I could stay there as well). But I am in the middle of buying a house so I didn't have the "extra" money... :(

20. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    It's smog legal because it has all the necessary hookup to keep stock egr. It still has an adapter.

If you cant run an adapter plate your pretty much out of luck. The only way I can think of is to have an intake modified to work or buy an offenhauser intake with the weber flange.