Oil Pump replacement on 22r

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Reddawg007, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Reddawg007

Reddawg007 Member

Truck:
    88 Reg cab 22r
    Ok I have everything I need to replace the oil pump, now the Haynes manuel says to remove the oil pan. My question is is that neccassary to remove the pan. Looking at the new pump I can't see why I need to take the pan off. Right now this is my daily driver and I need to replace the seal because I'm leaking oil so I figured just go ahead and change the pump also. I plan on changing the timing chain also but dont have the time or right weather to do so, its still kinda cool here. So I guess my question is do I need to drop the pan to do the replacement. Any help is welcomed

2. Nook

Nook Addict

No, the pan doesn't have to come off to replace the oil pump.

3. Reddawg007

Reddawg007 Member

Truck:
    88 Reg cab 22r
    Thanks man I didn't think so. Now all I need is a set of wheel ramps and a pulley puller.

4. Nook

Nook Addict

Just keep the 5 bolts in order on the pump, the top bolt is the most critical, if too long it will bottom out against the tensioner and you'll have a major chain rattle when done, also a little sealer on the threads will help from leaking on that particular bolt too.
    The crank pulley normally will slide off by hand once the bolt is removed, normally!!!! getting the bolt out of the end of the crank is a challenge sometimes, disabling the ignition and using the starter and a breaker bar is the easiest way. Have fun

5. Reddawg007

Reddawg007 Member

Truck:
    88 Reg cab 22r
    Yeah a buddy of mine showed me that once. He put the breaker bar on the frame and bumped the motor and the bolt broke free. Scared the hell out of me because I wasnt expecting it.

6. KEKAHA_HR

KEKAHA_HR Member

Like Nook said, but there is one bolt that fastens the oil pan to the oil pump, so you'd have to take that off. Haynes probably meant that.

7. Reddawg007

Reddawg007 Member

Truck:
    88 Reg cab 22r
    Well I got the pump off and didn't have to take the pan off. I put some silicone sealant on the top most bolt and fired it off and runs good.