oil pressure gauge help

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by GrantH, Jun 23, 2009.

1. GrantH

GrantH Addict

I need to know if it is possible to set up an oil pressure gauge on my 85, I know a manual is possible, and betting an electric one is but is it possible to do so without draining the oil from the motor? It has the first fill in it + a 15 dollar bottle of lucas zinc+ break in lube that i'd rather not lose. Is it possible that an after market gauge could use the stock sender with a butt connector slid over the post like stock was? Also, if the stock gauge is one that will actually read pressure and not act as a dummy gauge, can someone tell me what color wire goes to the sender stock? I can't find a picture in my album on photobucket or anywhere and I always forget to look when I go to a show or whatever.

I have a green/red and green/yellow I believe running to the top of the intake and the only other wire that could reach the sender is yellow/black. Does this seem about right? could that yellow/green be what I need and not thte yellow/black?

2. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    the SR5 package should of come with a oil pressure meter (electric). its a diaphram switch about the size of a tangerine.

the dummy light sender is just that, when it registers low pressure the light comes on, no graduation to the signal, simply on or off.

you should be able to go to a junkyard and get a diaphram switch off of any other 2xr (they are all the same thread pitch). then if you can find a SR5 gauge cluster you could wire it up along with a OEM volt meter.

both the dummy sender and the pressure sender are installed. usually placed like this on the motor
    [​IMG]

cant help ya much on the wiring but im sure somebody here with a SR5 will chime in.:waytogo:

but essentially its like this:
    hot lead to gauge
    neg lead from gauge to sender

the sender acts like a reostat on the ground circut, the stronger the ground the higher the pressure.

3. GrantH

GrantH Addict

this is the only previous photo that I have.

[​IMG]

It's just a little connector on that threaded bung. I don't necessarily have to know my engine has such and such pressure as long as I know it's a safe pressure (4psi+ im guessing is what the dummy light measures at idle?). It's just that little off white/dirty plug that plugs into it with what looks to be green/yellow wiring. I will let you guys know what happens and if anything has to be swapped?

4. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

From reading these forus I have gathered; The sr5 is different than the others...but only by the sr5 actually does have a presure reading. (from a cluster swap article) otherwise no you will not need to drain any oil to get this in and out, but you might lose a little (couple of oz at worst) from what is behind/above it in the system. That wire runs up to the driverside firewall near clutch master. From past cars the sender usually kicks on lights around 8 psi.

5. randyman

randyman Enthusiast

Truck:
    1976 hi lux 2x4
    buy you a mechanical guage at auto zone 20.00$ and a threaded adaptor mount the guage under the dash and keep your idiot light stock both the light and mechanical guage screw into the adaptor so if your not looking at the guage the lamp will come on and save your ass !!! i did it to mine and it works fine ,,randy .if u loose oil preasure that is,,,,,

6. GrantH

GrantH Addict

I figured it may not lose oil if I hadn't ever run the engine, which I haven't. That's nice to know. Also, is there any way you can shed some light on this "threaded adapter".

Also Thunder, you say the wire that runs on that dummy light connects at that plug and runs behind the motor and up the firewall into the cab somewhere? I have two wires that could possibly be that. One is yellow/glack and one is yellow/green. Neither have the butt connector to slide over the plug on the dummy light. This is aggrevating as someone else built the truck and pulled the can off for me. I undid the motor stuff but thought I took pictures well enough. Theres no telling if a harness was disconnected and lost or something.

7. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

8. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    if you have a stock sending unit with an sr5 gauge cluster, you dont even have to touch that sending unit at all. on the 22R/E motors, right behind the motor mount, there is one more port to enter a second sending unit to put an aftermarket sending uniit on there. should have a small bolt plugging the oil vein.

i currently dont have a picture of that but if you look at your passenger side motor mount, right in that area where it bolts to the block, you will see it. use that port to stick in your new gauge sending unit.

auto meter gauges are real simple to install. your initial power wires are
    -12v power source
    -12v ignition source
    - ground
    - sending unit

9. GrantH

GrantH Addict

that makes a bit more sense, well makes it more clear anyways. I was thinking he meant the dummy and the sender were all one unit. I see where it's seperate in the pic now that you showed where the "other" plug is. he has the dummy plug and then an aftermarket unit. though i think I may just go with a mechanical guage.

10. GrantH

GrantH Addict

[​IMG]
    see how my motor has the upper port plugged with what looks like a plug for the stock harness? and then down low it looks like it has the dummy plug. yours has the dummy plug up top and then the new unit down below. i hate when two of the same motors cant be identical haha.

11. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    ^ that upper piece on your block is the knock sensor... Shonuff's block is the earlier 22R so in actuallity they are two different blocks...

Like SDYota mentioned, there is another threaded portal righ behind the engine mount that you can use...

12. GrantH

GrantH Addict

right on then, I just can't see it in any of my pictures. My knock sensor must have been disconnected at the beginning lol. It sure knocked like hell when we spun that rod bearing hahaha

13. GrantH

GrantH Addict

[​IMG]

Theres a better angle for what we are talking about. I am guessing SDYota is talking abou the little 1/4" plug that is literally inside the motor mount gap? If not....i'm lost haha. If so, I will probably use a mechanical guage...I don't much trust electric stuff when it comes to first fire. My ford had a mechanical and I never had a problem with it. As long as I have a fair amount of pressure reading I should be safe, right? above 4psi at idle somewhere ~8-10 should be expected?

14. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yea, thats the plug i was describing. what i did was placed the original toyota sending unit in place behind the motor mount. the aftermarket (autometer) sending unit i placed in the sending unit stock location. hope that makes sence.

another thing i would do is place a 45* deg. fitting on that plug behind the motor mount so installing/swapping sending units is easier to do and get to.