Looking at turbo trucks

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by slamdtaco, Apr 6, 2014.

1. slamdtaco

slamdtaco Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    84-88 extra cab soon
    Looking to buy a truck. Found two turbo trucks, both automatic transmissions. Anything in particular to look at with a turbo truck before buying?

Would you buy a turbo truck or non turbo truck? I never thought of buying one until seeing several for sale

2. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    I built a turbo truck. I like it. Even with the auto, it's fun.

3. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    Kinda late reply but for future reference the 22rte exaust manifold is usally cracked unless it's been replaced, even still it may crack. The turbo isn't that good or reliable and often is replaced with a supra ct26, also the oil return from the factory isn't he best either.

My rte going in my celica will have a t3 log manifold with a ct26 from a mk3 supra and I'm going to get braided line to replace the oil return pipe

4. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    What's wrong with the oil return? I haven't heard or read anything about that in all my 22rte.com readings... Just curious.

5. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    It's debatable, but I hear due to the design they can drain improperly

6. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Ok, Now I've heard it. I basically used the same setup as the factory 22rte on my 22re. Except that I moved away from the bowtie area to make it easier for my particular install.

7. ace89

ace89 Member

Truck:
    86 xcab sr5 turbo
    if you can get it buy it. i got lucky and found a new t3 turbo kit on craigslist for $200 and only thing missing was the oil feed line, and adapter for the header. this kit at tec runs $1500 and $2000 at lce. the turbo is going to be your main hassle with this truck. once you hear the whine of that turbo, you know why you had to own a turbo toy

8. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    As I come from a diesel back ground. I do miss the wine and the building of boost! Both of my trucks were autos and it was very easy to build the boost with them. I would love to turbo my yota. Awwww I love Horse Power!

9. warbird

warbird Member

how hard to turbo an NA 22RE?
    i mean between the 22RE and 22RTE what are the physical differences in the longblock? obviously the oil return drain hole (easy fix) what's the difference in the heads? pistons? rods? crankshaft?

just wondering how tough itd be to build a turbo 22RE

10. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Easy. The pistons in the RTE are dished, rather than flat. Other than that, the engines are very similar.

11. warbird

warbird Member

okay, are there any metalurgical differences in the internals? forged vs. cast or anything? or would it be as simple as fabbing up a turbo header gettign oil supply/drain figured and then of course a boost controlled FPR ....maybe larger injectors and what about the VAM and ECU?

12. warbird

warbird Member

how much dish in the RTE pistons? i just tore my RE down last night and there is a slight dish in them. like maybe .030 deep

13. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    I'm ITCHIN :silly: to get my hands on a dirty diesel motor!! I'm tossin up :thinking: ideas for the next project between doin a bagged 2L-TE Stout or a gen 5 pickup with a coilover conversion and a 1UZ-FE swap!! Both are big projects but I'm to the point of flippin a coin to decide!!