how to gain horse power

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by craigdbl, Sep 3, 2011.

1. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

I've been adding some things for small gains,perf. air filter,plug wires. Do you think a perf. coil will help? will a perf. radiator fan do anything? I heard covt. the a/c comp to elect woud do alittle. I'm trying to get a header/muffler but, I keep seeing other items that I want. I'll have to stop that.
    84 22rec SR5 FI automatic

2. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic Addict

Truck:
    '79 4x4,'89 short-bed 2wd, '85 4Runner
    I think a new header would be the best bang for the buck performance wise, but a performance coil would help a bit too. If you want to see the most gains from a performance coil, be sure to gap your plugs out to wider gaps than the stock recommendation. The stock ignition in my truck was only 23,000 volts or something, so going to a 50,000 volt ignition I was able to gap them out to .055". This bigger, hotter spark helps achieve more complete combustion for better low end torque and throughout the RPM range it will provide slightly increased performance. You would also probably have slightly improved gas mileage, but I doubt it would be a measurable amount.

3. jctoy29

jctoy29 Addict

Truck:
    1993 toyota standard cab short bed
    The radiator will help in running cooler you wont gain hp's but running electric cooling fan will, it wil help get rid of some parasitic drag from your belt drive

4. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Running a electric fan does not increase hp,it frees up hp,so you will have more !:cool:

5. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    When it comes down to it, these little 4 bangers just don't generate a whole lot of horsepower, so the noticeable gain seems to come as a result of running a combination of performance adding goodies. For 22R's, I usually would suggest a Weber and a header as the easy horsepower combination, but on the 22RE you will probably want to stick with fuel injection. There is a late style fuel injection setup for these trucks that does generate a few more horsepower (5 more I think), so you could keep your eye out for some cheap late style fuel injection parts. If you did that along with a new coil and header I think you might really feel the gains. I doubt switching to a electric fan alone would be enough to feel much of a difference, but again, in combination with some of those other goodies it would undoubtedly help the overall performance.

6. 4x4climber

4x4climber Newbie

i would do ALL of these before doing ANY of what you mentioned.

late model upper intake plenum and throttle body. maybe 50$. proven gains.

intake/ battery swap. basically free. proven to work.

82 supra afm. up to $100. got mine for 70... works. proven. flows better. helps burn all that extra fuel from the RICH factory tune.

go to 22re performance. buy a new OEM cap n rotor. 22$ get their heavy duty NGK OEM style wires. unless that is what you got when you got yer new wires. they are $45 and the best wires out there for these trucks. make sure you have factory spark plugs in it.

If you want a Bigger gain. across the board (helps all of yer higher flowing mods even more) you will get more power and better gas mileage... and you won't have any more godforsaken valve ticking.

***engnbldr street rv head with a cam. $550... i got the head for $450 plus lc pro/street cam $80 from a buddy. which IMHO is MUCH better then an engnbldr cam and worth the cash..but you would have to go new... would cost you $160. But, you will notice a much more substantial gain than throwin on a header first... especially when you throw it on later... after the head.

then get a header.

i also found it runs awesome at 10* timing after all that stuff.

if you do not have any exhaust work done... well... you know where that goes... you have a stock header n downpipe for now. and should be at 2.25" from the cat-> back. no bigger. no smaller.

I know i don't have alotta posts on here.. i am usually on all the yota and 4x4 forums.

7. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Correction ,some of the fast engines in the world were & are 4 bangers & the Toyota engines are right there!
    Look @ the Craftsman series races & desert races!
    Toyota's are always there!
    And than there's LC Engineering ( my engine built by them), they are the leaders when it comes to Toyota engines!
    I went from 90 stock HP to 230 HP.
    And you can & know it works well!
    Now if you are talking serious HP ,there is no substitute for cu.inches , & my last ride was powered by a 460 cu.inc Ford,bored 20 over & loaded======= 600 hp / & 5.2 mpg around town if you want to go there! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  8. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

how to gain hp

awsome, thanks guys for all the great info

9. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    No problem! That's what we're here for!

As far as this "correction", I'll stand by what I said. These little four bangers (22R and 22RE) just don't generate all that much horsepower. Sure if you drop 5 g's on a LCE stage 5 motor you will see some amazing performance, but obviously this is the exception rather than the rule, since most of us are driving on a setup that at least somewhat resembles a stock motor. I'm not knocking the 22R/E. These motors are tried and true and I don't want to give mine up for my main vehicle. Like you said though, there is no replacement for displacement!:waytogo:

10. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Like said ,there is no subdued for cu inches.== HP.----PERIOD !!
    Work with what you have & make it happen!
    Money = performance------ there is no other way!!:cool: