Crane Ignition help

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by STLowburban, Aug 11, 2011.

1. STLowburban

STLowburban Newbie

Truck:
    1986 x-cab
    I searched but didn't find specifically what info i need. I'm wanting to put a Crane Hi-6 ignition box on my 86 22r with electronic ignition. I need some specifics of what wire to hook to what. Specifically does the white trigger wire from the crane box hook up to the red or the white wire coming off the distributor? Does the other one (red/white) just go to ground? Thanks for the help.

2. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    Go to the Crane WEB site and download the instruction manual for your specific HI-6 unit. If you are using a stock distributer, you do not use the White wire. You use the Purple and Green twisted pair to the distributer. Wiring on mine is: Large Red to battery, large Black to ground, Small Red wire (trigger) to main ignition wire, Blue wire (cylinder select) to main ignition wire, Yellow/White (Stage/Rev Limiter) to main ignition wire, Green wire to tach adapter (MSD unit), Orange and Black wires go to the Coil. The Ignition Retard wire and White wire are not used. I have a Ballast Resister installed with all ignition wires on the input end except the small Red wire (Trigger), going to the HI-6 unit, is installed on the Ballist Resister Output end.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  3. STLowburban

STLowburban Newbie

Truck:
    1986 x-cab
    I have the manual with mine. My unit also doesn't have green /purple twisted wires. My unit is also gold in color not black like I've seen. I have heavy red (power), heavy black(ground), orange and black together (coil), thin red(ignition), thin blue(cylinder select), this green ( tach output), thin white(points trigger), red/black in a gray shield( magnetic trigger),. I talked to LC's tech line yesterday and he said the white going into my distributor from the igniter should be power in and the red one coming out should be the signal and hook my white wire to it. Said I could test em with a test light but neither lights it up or fires the coil so I'm still stumped. Thanks for looking at this, I understand you are the guru on this around here and I really appreciate your help.

4. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    List your Crane Model # and the color of all the original wires connected to the HI-6 ignition unit and the color of the wires coming from your distributer. I will research it but I have a feeling the Red / Black in the Gray shield is what you need to hook up to the wires on your distributer.

5. STLowburban

STLowburban Newbie

Truck:
    1986 x-cab
    I got it working using the magnetic pick-up wires. My truck should have electronic but I pulled the cap off since I got no signal on the light. Got a hold of a factory service manual and went from there. Thanks for the help though.