Coolant leak. New 88 Toyota owner looking for help.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Jason H, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Jason H

Jason H Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota Pickup
    Hello all,

This is my first post here! I recently acquired a 1988 Toyota Pickup and am just starting to get to know it. The first thing I'm trying to do is track down/understand a coolant leak (it also leaks oil) on the 22re. I should probably also say I am new to working on engines, not just the 22re. I have the Haynes manual, but not the factory service manual (yet).

So here's is a picture of where I think the leak is coming from (at the timing cover gasket). I first noticed coolant on the oil pan and traced it up to this spot. In the picture, the A/C and its bracket are removed. If I clean this area (marked with the red arrow) it will start to get wet in that spot within about 10 minutes.

[​IMG]

I don't understand exactly what's going on behind that timing cover. Is there a coolant passage there? Is this a plausible spot for coolant to leak?

Also, this engine was rebuilt about 20k ago by Poteat's Engine Rebuilding in Kannapolis, North Carolina (have the receipt from previous owner). The previous owner also said he replaced the timing chain himself (not sure why). So I'm wondering if something about the timing chain replacement didn't go right.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    The water pump is directly above your problem area so yes that would be the source or your leak.I would just replace all the necessary gaskets to fix that.It's a good idea to replace the head gasket and oil pan gaskets because you will need to pull the head off and the timing cover also comes in contact with the front part of the oil pan gasket.You will get an idea if you need to change the timing chain and guides when you get in there.Good luck.if you have any questions pm me.

3. Jason H

Jason H Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota Pickup
    Thanks Malessohomegrown.

I've been digging around in the forum and people seem to like the timing kits from engnbdr while some people prefer that kit paired with OEM gaskets. I may buy that kit w/ a new timing cover just in case.

I'm also hoping the oil leak is at the crank oil seal and all leaks will be taken care of in one job, but I should know more about the oil leak when I get more components off.

4. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    I see your 4wd diff...coated in oil. More than likely its a valve cover gasket leak, but while your doing all that, a new oil pan gasket, timing gasket, valve cover gasket and oil pump o-ring and front seal will probably cease all leaks....

5. Jason H

Jason H Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota Pickup
    Xs5875, thanks for the reply. Yeah, the 4wd diff is definitely coated in oil. Also, the shock in front of the diff was coated the same way in oil, but only appears clean in the photos because I cleaned it yesterday.

Today, I drove it for about 10 minutes, stopped to check the leak, and it was very wet with oil/coolant (but looked mostly like oil) on the front/passenger side of engine compartment. I drove home and looked all around but couldn't definitively locate the leak. I looked all around the valve cover for a leak but no luck locating it there. I could definitely see oil and coolant pooling at the front/passenger side of the oil pan. How it's getting all over the front passenger side of the engine, I'm not sure about it.

Here are more photos from today after the 10 minute drive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  6. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    I think it's the timing cover gasket.once that oil and coolant hits the pulleys and belts it gets thrown to the passenger side.It looks like a significant leak you should get on that pretty soon.It's an easy job.

7. Jason H

Jason H Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota Pickup
    Thanks Malessohomegrown. Ya, it is a significant leak. The weird thing is the pulleys and belts looked clean so I'm not sure how it's getting everywhere like that. But maybe I shouldn't worry about it too much because from what I've been reading, the oil pan & head gaskets should be replaced along with the timing chain gasket. I mainly just want to make sure I'm diagnosing correctly and not missing something big.

Also, I'm thinking about pulling the engine to do this job (without tranny) because when I get to this in the next few weeks it'll probably be too cold to do it outside. But if I pull the engine I can get it in the garage and work on it there. Crazy? I could just replace all the gaskets at that point.

8. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    crazy yes....but it would be a good opportunity to clean..alot more work though. It can be done in a day with the correct tools and preparation with it in the truck.

9. Jason H

Jason H Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota Pickup
    Xs5875 - Yeah I'm still thinking whether to take it out or not. Let's say I were to do the job with it in the truck. My plan would be to replace the following gaskets...

- Valve cover gasket
    - Head gasket
    - Timing cover gasket (2 pieces, I think & using the Toyota sealer I've read about)
    - Oil pan gasket
    - Crank o ring seal

What I'm not clear about, if I do it in the truck, is how to get a new oil pan gasket on. I've been reading it's difficult because the oil pan won't clear the front diff and some people end up hoisting the engine a little or dropping the diff to make it clear. Any truth to that?

10. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    For 4x4's, you are correct about the lifting of engine or lowering the diff in order remove the oil pan but our oil pans don't use a gasket. These trucks were designed to use FIP (Fit In Place) gasket maker. You can find it at the dealer. A great alternative is called "The Right Stuff" (Grey colored). You can find it at any autopart store.

11. Jason H

Jason H Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota Pickup
    Ah, I didn't know that. I'll research some more with that in mind. Maybe that will make the job a little easier with the engine in place. Thanks for the info!