88 toyota

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by xavierparrish, Apr 16, 2014.

1. xavierparrish

xavierparrish Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota pickup
    ok so i have an 88 toyota pickup 2wd, im picking up a 92 toyota ex cab 5 spd mostly using it for a backup engine and trans, but i know that 84-86? has a different 22re besides the later 22re. so my question is. will my 88 engine still be compatible with the engine in the 92?

2. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Yessir it will.Is the 88 a 4 speed?

3. xavierparrish

xavierparrish Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota pickup
    4 speed auto. I'm not swapping the tranny out until it blows. Just want to have extra parts instead of going to the junk yard. But what year can I use? Cause I'm planning on buying a 85 4x4 and if I have an 88 and a 92 will it work?

4. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    Motor wise yes it will work but when the time comes to swap out your trans to a 5 speed you will need to use the trans mounting plate from the 92 because the 5 speed is a bit longer then the 4 speed.Also you will need to find a regular cab 5 speed drive shaft because the extra cab one you have will be too long for the regular cab 88.What parts off the 4x4 where you hoping to use?

5. xavierparrish

xavierparrish Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota pickup
    Couldn't I use the drive shaft I have now On the auto since its a reg cab. Or would I have to get a 92 reg cab? And for the 85 I couldn't use parts from the 88 or 92 drive train wise. Since it has a different style 22re

6. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    The auto drive shaft is a different length then what you would need.I believe the auto trans is a bit longer giving you a shorter drive shaft.If the 85 is a 4x4 the drive train is totally different.you wont be able to use anything from the motor back except the rear end.Those old 4x4s have like 4:56 or 4:88 ratios.Those are very sought after here on guam for drag racing.What do you mean it has a different style 22re.Are we talking the domed piston style.If the motor is a complete running motor you could just use the whole motor if you wanted to do a complete swap.You are correct in that you would not be able inter change engine parts like block or head.If the engine is blown and the body is shot I wouldnt even consider buying the 85 except for that 3rd member.If body parts are good you could use those.

7. xavierparrish

xavierparrish Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota pickup
    OK I understand the drive shaft. And oops on the drive train. I meant engine. But OK that's what I thought about the engines being different and no the engine isn't blown. Just want a 4x4. But if I ever break anything in the engine I'll be well aware to find 84 85 22re.

8. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    You have a couple of options on that earlier motor.20r's are also the domed piston style so if you found one of those you could use parts off of that.Difference on the head of the 20r is circle intake and exhaust ports as where the early 22r has square intake and pear shaped exhaust ports.So you would need intake and exhaust manifolds to match.So you plan on running that 85? Can I see some pics of all the trucks?

9. xavierparrish

xavierparrish Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota pickup
    mine2.jpg heres my 88. im picking up the 92 tomorrow and looking at the 85 tomorrow also. so ill put pics up of those tomorrow. so 20r parts would fit on the 22re? or only the r?

10. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    20r early 22r are interchangeable.I'm sure there is a way to make it efi if you wanted to.