84 22R Heating

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by ranger92, Jul 15, 2010.

1. ranger92

ranger92 Newbie

I have a 84 p/u it had 300,000 on it an decided to blow a head gasket, so instead of just puttin the head gasket on I had it re-done bottom to top. So everythings new but since I put it back together an started drivin it, it heats like crazy. Sometimes it only takes 5 mins others you can go 20-30 mins before it starts. Any Ideas?!?!?! :shrug:

2. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

Bubles in the cooling system. or bad thermostat .....

3. ranger92

ranger92 Newbie

Whats the best way to get the air bubbles out? Iv tried everything I kno an it dont help, this was my DD now im stuck drivin the Mud Trk w/38.5s I desperately need to get this thing fixed

4. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    91 V6 SR5 Xtracab, 87 22RE 4x4, 73 HiLux 18R SR5
    What I always do is jack up the front as high as I can get it. The heater hoses on these trucks are higher than then rad hose and can trap air. Then run the truck and get up to operating temp. I usually try to keep it at about 2500 rpm's after it is warmed up and then I just keep topping up the antifreeze as the thermostat opens and closes.

This usually works pretty well for me but maybe someone else has a better way. My old neighbor(a mechanic) had a funnel with different attachments that would connect to the filler on the rad. This would make the antifreeze higher eliminating the need to jack the front up. Hope this helps!