Transmission and gearing questions

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Broke, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Broke

Broke Newbie

Hy everybody glad to be a member of this forum. Looks like a good place to find info. Icurrently have a 4-spedd in my 81' 22r with 4.11 (stock) gears i think. If I swap in a 5 speed will the fith gear be higher? Or is it Just closer gear ratios? What year/model five speeds will work for this swap? I have read that the bell housings are different but its no big deal to take he whole assembly from the doner truck. Also I would like to gear it down a little. Are there any mathamaticians that can tell me what gear ratio Ishould run if I still wanter a higher top speed than the 4 speed but lower gears in the pumpkin. These are some fairly complicated questions but im hoping someone will know somthing that can help me out. Thank in advance:headbang:

2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    in both the 5 speed and 4 speed toyota transmissions, the 4th gear is direct drive (1:1). The 5th gear goes taller (more top speed). 4.11 gears is already an awesome gear ratio to go with the 5 speed, and if you wanted higher top speed or a lower cruising rpm, the 3.4x to 3.7x rear ends still go well with them. I can't remember the rpm, but the 5-speed and 3.73 rear end gets me to 100mph+ before I start hitting the limits of the hp. It runs about 3000rpm at 70mph.

If you found a w50 transmission, I believe you wouldn't have to modify your driveshaft. Too bad the only one I know of is currently in my truck (need to find a different bellhousing so I can also do a swap)

3. night_amuse

night_amuse Member

Truck:
    81 4x4 4spd
    my Supra has a W50, parts can suck to get for it. tried to take it in for a trans rebuild years ago, nobody could find parts.

from what ive been told, you can run a W50 bellhousing on a W58. W58 is a better and beefier trans and easy to get parts for, most likely a better route to hit and worse case you get the driveshaft shortened or whatever. was going to W58 my Supra but never have gotten around to it