Super specific idle issue(need help). Please Look.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by FormOVERfunction, Mar 24, 2015.

1. FormOVERfunction

FormOVERfunction Newbie

OK! So I have a weird problem. It sounds like the usual cold idle issues, but it might not be. When it's cold, it will stumble until it shuts off. By smell, I can tell it's running super rich and to be honest I haven't done much in diagnostic work yet, but here's the weirdly specific part of this issue, start up in the morning or after its been sitting a while and it wants to die until it's all the way hot and even then I know it's running rich, but it idles much better. ANYWAYS, the weird part is when its idling rough and I put gas in the tank (usually half tank or more) it immediately runs smoother exactly as if it's hot (operating temp).

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

What year is that super thing?
    what motor?
    what carb?

3. FormOVERfunction

FormOVERfunction Newbie

It's an '83 22r. Not sure the carb, but it's a California car so I imagine it's all one carb here in CA.

4. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

Sounds like the choke is not set up properly and/or the mixture isnt right with your carb. I would consider reading on our carb and try to figure out how they work. Basically have a better grasp at what your looking at..

As for the filling up the tank.. dont think it has anything to do with your issue and sound more coincidental.
    Your 83 should have a engine mounted fuel pump..unlike electric like older models.

5. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    Could be your tank vents are not hooked up correct. On my truck I found the charcoal canister vacuum lines(input to the charcoal is the tank vent) were connected to one side of the distributor advance and once the tank got enough pressure built up it would run pig rich and like crap until you pulled the gas cap. If you didn't pop the gas cap it would still be dumping fuel into the intake 5 mins after your shut it off.

Just a thought

6. FormOVERfunction

FormOVERfunction Newbie

Yeah the gas thing might be a crazy coincidence, its every time though... I'm coming into the shop Saturday and I'll be going through the truck. Thanks for the input guys.