oil pan idea and vehicle vibration causes

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by ddbuffalo, Jun 30, 2015.

1. ddbuffalo

ddbuffalo Newbie

working on my 1979 pickup.

replaced my oil pan last weekend. overtightened some of the bolts so I have some minor oil on a couple of the bolts. my thought is to drain oil, remove bolts, and then wrap the bolts in plumber's teflon tape and use a metal/rubber washer for a more secure fit. worth a shot.

around 40-45 mph, the truck vibrates when accelerating; no vibration when coasting. i haven't looked at the u joint, but wondering if alignment, tire balance or sticky caliper could cause this? the truck pulls to the left when i apply the brakes.

2. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    When you did oil pan did you replace the gasket? During acceleration it vibrating could be a number of things.

1. Tires needing balanced
    2. Motor mounts
    3. Ball joints
    4. Wheel bearings

As for the pulling to the left when braking, is most likely the left side ball joints! Replacing the ball joints will prob fix the vibration issue to!!

3. convertedable

convertedable Newbie

Truck:
    1978 Hilux
    Vibration when accelerating is the carrier bearing on the driveshaft, the rubber around it is likely gone

4. ddbuffalo

ddbuffalo Newbie

Thanks. I did replace the oil pan gasket and it seems fine.

Re: vibration...I replaced lower ball joints, idler arm, balanced tires and did alignment. Runs better but still some vibration. One of rear tires is correct size, but is a trailer tier. I'll look at the carrier bearing..

5. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I've tried the teflon tape on over tightened bolts and it really is a waste of time.. just do it right and get some helicoils and redo them.

When you did your gasket did you do it dry or did you put rtv on it? I found what worked best for me was either black rtv or toyota fipg on both sides, then just tighten bolts until everything touches then next day torque them to proper spec.

6. Racersk

Racersk Member

Vibration at speed - You need to go get a center carrier bearing.

Pulls to the left- On both my 4wd and 2WD it was old sticking calipers.

And go get som eused Auto tires-trailer tire...Really?