no start - wth?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by ibified, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ibified

ibified Member

So i got my truck all put back together, and went to start it for the first time. all I got when i turned the key was a *click*.

Battery is brand new and fully charged, starter tests good, and blower motor, wipers, horn, and hazards all work. Curiously, the headlights don't come on when i pull the switch, but the parking lights do.

Anyone have any clue what i can do to fix it?

Oh and on a side note, I closed the passenger's side door and the glass shattered. This thing is getting close to going to the scrap yard.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    U sure ur battery is good? What did u do to the truck prior to it not starting?

3. ibified

ibified Member

pulled the motor and rebuilt it. battery JUST came from store, and I had them test it before I left. Plenty of power.

4. mikes87yota

mikes87yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 2WD SR5 "Mojave Edition"
    Hmmm just double check to see if all wires are hooked up right and if they are might be your starter what i used to do was wack it with a hammer and it the starter would work but by the sounds of it it seems it might be a wiring problem

5. ibified

ibified Member

Yeah it HAS to be a wiring problem. but what would cause the headlights (which are not even on a fuse) to not work? When i turn on the headlights, the parking lights come on, but the headlights do not. It's just pissing me off. That being said, the wiring is pretty simple. you have the ground, which goes from the battery to the motor mount to the engine, and the other ground wire that goes from the back of the engine to the firewall, and the positive wire from the battery goes to the alternator, and the 2 wires (fusible link) tie into the harness from the positive. the starter DOES click, but wont turn at all.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Check ur relays. Wiring looks simple but theres more to it than the main positives and negatives.

7. ibified

ibified Member

I dont even know what relays I would be looking at, honestly. Dont know where the headlight relay is. I did have the starter tested, and it's bad. 60 for a new one... =( I'm beginning to suspect that the back lights are a ground issue, since when i turn on the turn signals, i get TWO lights that light up, but they are very dim. We will see I guess.

8. Blasito

Blasito Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 2wd SR5 22R 5spd(man) - Chopped '84 Honda V30
    if your hearing clicking, its usually cuz its not getting enuff juice or the solenoid on the starter is bad

9. ibified

ibified Member

headlights fixed (corrosion on the relay tabs) and starter in. Still havent had a chance to mess with the back lights yet. Thanks for chiming in, everyone!