a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by andysmiley17, Jun 4, 2010.

1. andysmiley17

andysmiley17 Veteran

Truck:
    82 Diesel
    ive got a couple questions,
    1. my trucks an 82 diesel and the fuel tank wont hold over half a tank so i believe the two halves are coming apart, ive seen products that fix this but are they worth it or would it be better to get a new tank, ive also heard that i cant use a fuel tank that wasnt for a diesel truck, is this true?
    2. another annoyance is that before the truck fully warms up there is a major squeal that everyone tells me was a loose belt, after checking the belt its in great shape and isnt loose, does anyone have any ideas? i dont have power steering or a/c if that helps
    3. but what id really like to know is how rare the diesel version is, ive never heard of these trucks until i bought it and everyone i talked to (before i found this site) had no idea toyota ever built an old diesel
    im definitely no mechanic so any advice on these trucks would be great plus i havent seen any toyotas that are older then an 86 at the junkyards by me so i dont really know where to get any parts. thanks for any advice u guys can give me!

2. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    1. sell it to me
    2. sell it to me
    3. sell it to me
    4. pics or it didnt happen :)

jk

1. i havnt seen the diesel tank, it should only be on one side of the truck. When you say you cant fill it over half, you mean the hose keeps clicking off or it starts spilling on the ground?

2. Have to hear the squeel. If it is a belt and you dont have A/C or PS then I would say try tightening the **** outa the alternator belt and give it a shot.

3. super rare, you should sell it to me. im a mechanic :)

3. andysmiley17

andysmiley17 Veteran

Truck:
    82 Diesel
    as for the tank i really dont know, thats what the previous owner told me, he said it was leaking so bad that the security gaurds at school forced him to move it off the premises after he first bought it and filled it up, ive never filled it over halfway since he told me that, so how it actually leaks i'll have to look into it more