Forum Dedicated to Toyota Stout, Hilux, and Pickup Owners

Toyota Pickup 1 Toyota Pickup 2 Toyota Pickup 3 Toyota Pickup 4

Go Back   Toyota Minis > 1976-1983 Pickups > 1976-1983 Pickup Discussion > Engine/Drivetrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Enthusiast

Truck: 1971 Hilux

Building my 22r up

looking for a cheap way to hop up my 22r, i know the normal stuff, carb, intake, exhaust and all that, My main question is with 20r head swap, any clue how much poer it would add and is there anything i should have done to it, like something at the machine shop or . . . .? also if i do the head swap will a 22r valve cover still work? and can i use the same carb i have now? i saw a video saying i need some kind of adapter?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Toyota Pickup Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Addict

Truck: Which one?
if you put a 20r head on a late 22r block, u will need alot of head milling. I know because i have done it. i also put big valves in it, all the machine work without port matching and polish ran me $900. what you need to decide is how much power ur wanting. by this be realistic, as in say 150-175. if u are shooting for 200hp+ u better have a blank check. I will say i havent dynoed this engine as its still a work in progress. i can try help guide u to what u are looking to do, but im no expect, just have researched a bunch and have talk to people..

Be Different - F*ck the "NorM"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on Facebook
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Enthusiast

if its an 83 would that be a "late" block?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Toyotaholic

Truck: 82 Longbed 2WD
Ok I have done it to my 82/ (so exactly like your block). Double chain heads are directly intechangable with other double chain heads.

1. Make sure the 20R head has P/S and fuel pump bosses (if you need em). I goofed here

2. A 20 or 22r valve cover works
3. Buy the 25ish dollar LC adapter. 22R carb to 20R mani if you dont get webers. 22R carb > 20R carb.
4. If your gunna do the swap, Id highly reccomend getting bigger valves and seats put in. Machine shop does this, but LC has your parts.
5. There is a coolant hose you need to reroute. Simple.
6. As for realalistic power, do the exhaust first. It is a bigger gain than the head swap by itself.
7. I spent a solid 40 hr week porting the head, check out pics below. Its almost idiot proof easy. Look into it
8. 20/22r cams are the same. Stock and aftermarket.

Mine is seriously undercarbed, under cammed and under valved. But the wheel is in motion....

If you had to relate it to something else, its like bolting on a set of AFR 225s on a rock stock 5.0 U will see gains, but induction, cam and exhaust all have to be working properly.

Intake with carb adapter
Click the image to open in full size.

Head on block

Intake port

Another
Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Enthusiast

so im assuming that a weber for the 20r and 22r r the same?, header would be the same 2 for either model, id kinda like to knock it all out at once, exhaust, head, carb
Old 03-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #6

Truck: 83 4x4, 98 Taco Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyasslunatic View Post
if its an 83 would that be a "late" block?
83 has the early block, tall deck.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Toyotaholic

Truck: 82 Longbed 2WD
Most weber down draft kits come with adapter plates for both. Now sidedraft intakes are 22R or 20R specific.

A header would fit both.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Enthusiast

okay, is there intake that be worth looking into?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #9

Truck: 83 4x4, 98 Taco Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyasslunatic View Post
okay, is there intake that be worth looking into?
check out LC engineering, gooooood stuff...
Old 03-19-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
Veteran

If you look around LCE's site, you'll notice them selling the usual Offy dual port, and "C" series.....then you'll notice they're selling a modified stock intake for a pretty hefty price. It's race ported, all un-needed holes welded up, and comes with a 4bbl carb adapter.....

What's stopping you from just buying a stock intake, having it ported, welding up or otherwise plugging only the holes YOU don't need for YOUR specific vehicle, and calling it day?
Sponsored Links