1uz swap questions!!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by turbo_dies, Dec 7, 2014.

1. turbo_dies

turbo_dies Newbie

Truck:
    1980 Toyota Sr5
    Im looking to put a 1uz motor in my 1980 Sr5 shortbed in Jan of 2015. I have a few questions on the installment.
    Transmission Am I gonna have to swap transmissions or is there a bolt on kit for my 5 speed transmission? Which if im not mistaking its a w50? Correct me if I am wrong cause, ive been doing a lot of research on what transmission I have and haven't came up with much but a w50.
    Difficulty How much modifying will I have to do. I know as far as motor mounts and possibly a different transmission mount , but other then that I'm skunked..
    Has anyone done this swap in there pre 83 pickup?
    Heres a photo of my truck.
    Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. Suprafreak13

Suprafreak13 Member

There are adapter kits/plates to put a 5 speed behind the 1UZ, not sure if your W50 will work with them, it's been many years since I was researching 1UZ 5 speed conversions...

The work will be about the same for any cross-model motor swap....the big things would be first, like getting the motor/trans mounts made, custom driveshaft, custom exhaust. Then wiring the motor so it runs in your truck...custom radiator hoses, if you have power steering that needs to be hooked up maybe with custom lines, fuel lines.

good luck keep us posted...I may try a 1UZ swap in my truck next winter. They are very affordable, you can pickup a good running LS400 for $1000, then part out/scrap the car when you're done the swap.

3. 1uz_yoda

1uz_yoda Member

Truck:
    1980 long bed
    im in the middle of a swap right now, i currently working of fit up and wiring.

i used the xcessive 7m swap mounts paired with trail gear bomb proof 22r mounts

[​IMG]

Online Store - Xcessive Manufacturing

but you can buy some on ebay or a few other shops out of NZ,

1 UZ to Toytoa Truck Swap Mounts | eBay

Online Store - Xcessive Manufacturing

and for trans i have a w58 with LS400 bell housing via an adapter and since the mounts are adjustable i should be able to use the stock trans mount and drive line

if you need to find out what trans you have, marlin crawler has a great resource

the site 90dailydriven posted has a great wiring how to

4. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    [​IMG]

For my swap im using the "w5X to 1uz" bellhousing kit from 1uzswapkit.