1981 Toyota STD Pickup throttle sticking.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Eman710, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Eman710

Eman710 Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup
    Hey, my truck has a 22r carb motor and I've tried everything except replace my line and rebuild my carb. But when I get on the gas hard it will stick and usually its high in the rpms. Its not in the pedal, and when I turn the motor off and pop the hood everything looks to be moving freely with no gunk around it. Thank you in advance. Any advice would be awesome!

2. Eman710

Eman710 Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup
  3. whaemmel@hotmail.com

[email protected] Newbie

Truck:
    80 l.b. 3/4t 87 4 wheel s.b.
    Try taking the throttle cable loose at the carb and see if the carb feels like its binding up. If the shaft has a lot of play the butterfly can hit the side of the carb. Also try lubing up the cable where it comes out of the housing and make see if it moves freely. You can also try a new generic return spring from an auto parts store if the spring is weak. I had to put a new spring on my 1980 when I got it. Will

4. Eman710

Eman710 Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup
    Thank you. Trying new return spring today.

5. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    If its not the return spring, check the pedal itself again, and physically remove it if you havent. The floor hinge has a tendancy to rust up something fierce if you get too much moisture on it.

6. Eman710

Eman710 Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup
    It in the carb forsure. It stopped sticking for a while and I was able to drive it. And then yesterday after sitting for about 7 hours I started it up and it instantly redlined... Its not the cable and not the pedal. The pedal has been resting on the metal arm since I picked the truck up because it stuck.

7. whaemmel@hotmail.com

[email protected] Newbie

Truck:
    80 l.b. 3/4t 87 4 wheel s.b.
    At this point I would recommend getting a rebuild for $179.00 from Guaranteed Carbs. I have bought 4 in last ten years from these guys in FLA. 1 had issue and they fixed it right away. Second one crapped out after 10 years and they repaired it without a receipt. Ran fine but still wouldn't pass CA smog. It sounds like maybe a float or needle and seat leaked gas into the intake while it sat. These carbs are known to cause problems out here in Cali (of coarse we have to have different CA carbs out here. My smog tech. buddy hates me coming in because of this. Used ones never fly on smog for me. I'm planning on going to Oregon and weberize next time. Guaranteed Carbs has free shipping and no core hassle.

8. Racersk

Racersk Member

Sounds like the throttle blades are swinging past Wide Open Throttle then sticking while vacuum is applied-clearing with engine shut down. Try adjusting your cable to lessen the throw-you will need a second person to assist you, by 'flooring it' while you observe the throttle blades inside the carb.