1980 cali 20r idle help

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by minitoys, Mar 2, 2015.

1. minitoys

minitoys Newbie

Truck:
    1980 toyota hilux
    OK i got and idle problem and I have searched like crazy trying to figure this out now I got a 1980 cali 20r my problem is when I start it cold or hot it will run at 1000 to 900 rpms for about a minute then drops and jumps between 300 and 500 rpms it drives good down the road non smoke no missing but right when I stop to idle it drops back down and starts jump from 300 to 500 I've put new carb timing is dead on 8degrees adjusted the valves all vacuum lines are good and in there correct spots new wires new plugs does have a small exhaust leek gonna fix the today what else could it be

2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    If it drives fine otherwise, I would just crack open the throttle a bit more at idle.

3. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Not too familiar with carbs, but is there a stop screw that is there to stop the throttle lever when you arent on the gas? Maybe adjust it out some...

4. minitoys

minitoys Newbie

Truck:
    1980 toyota hilux
    Yeah iv tried adjusting idle screw it won't hold at 800 rpms it either goes to 1000 or bounces around 300 to 500 it doesn't bother me to bad but I don't think it will pass cali smog if it can't hold correct idle I just fix the exhaust leak didn't help idle but sounds better ha I forgot to mention I have replaced pcv earlier some times Iget a small backfire out of exhaust about 15 sec after I turn it off

5. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    Sounds like its to rich if it backfires after turning the engine off (dieseling). Readjust your fuel and air mixture screws and idle should change as well. Try backing down the fuel mixture a 1/4 turn at a time until you get it right, or depending on where the fuel mixture is open the airflow a bit to lean in out.

6. minitoys

minitoys Newbie

Truck:
    1980 toyota hilux
    OK I got the idle down with adjusting the the air mixture a bit but it still sounds like it's not firing good on one of the cylinders I pulled the plug wires one by one to see if it was a dead cylinder and there all firing so I pull the dissy cap and notice that theres a chip in one of the signal rotor gear teeth would that cause a low spark in wine of the cylinder?

7. minitoys

minitoys Newbie

Truck:
    1980 toyota hilux
    Here a pic of the chip. 20150302_194040.jpg

8. minitoys

minitoys Newbie

Truck:
    1980 toyota hilux
    No one?

9. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    maybe. could be possible. i could explain why at idle it is more noticeable than while driving. try swap the dizzy and see if it goes away.

u have the OEM carb or aftermarket?
    1lowSr5 sounds like a plan. try adjusting the jets.
    a good tool to have is an AF meter. it would be easier to "tune" ur air/fuel