Easiest engine swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Cade01, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I recently picked up a 1973 Hilux and would like to get rid of the 18R-C and 4 speed in favor of a 5 speed and an engine with more power. Or is there much of anything I can do with the 18R-C? How hard would it be to remove the emissions stuff from the current engine?

Thanks in Advance,
    Austin

Here it is when I first brought it home:

[​IMG]

Foggy morning:

[​IMG]

Here she is after all the rack s were removed and a god wash was done:

[​IMG]

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Great looking truck. I would say a 22r is the easiest swap. Same fitment as a 20r which came standard starting in 75, so with a parts truck you could get the crossmembers needed and those type of parts. Lots of donors available at junkyards, and it'll provide all the power you need for hauling or zipping around town.

3. standardbyker88

Truck:
    The exhaust runs down the driver side on the 20/22r so routing around your gas tank might be an issue, or swap it to the other side like a 75-78.

4. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I recognize this truck from Craigslist:waytogo:

Easiest swap would be 20/22r.. Build One with a nice setup and swap it in!:cool:

5. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Lol, that's where I found it! Paid a bit more than I had hoped to but it's clean. Really needs to be lowered, but I can't afford a good set of blocks and springs for it right now. Sent a message to Streetacos about their Beefed blocks and maybe a solution for the front but haven't heard back from them.

So a 20/22R wont bolt right in? What doesn't match up, the motor mounts? What about the transmission, will a 5 speed bolt in or will I need the trans crossmember?

6. oldschool64bus

oldschool64bus Veteran

Truck:
    1983 SR5 4x4
    for now cut a coil or 2, I did 3 on my 77 and only had about an inch of travel left but it still road pretty decent.

7. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I think I'll hit up the junk yards for Mighty Max springs first, anyone know what year MM springs I need? Also, what would I lower the rear with on the free?

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I've got 3-1/8 cut off and a few other tricks. After 2 coils expect to hammer the inner fenders unless you run tiny tires. I preferred to hammer. I like a 23-24" front tire diameter.

Mitsubishi Mighty max coils fit and get 2" drop. And drop coils get 2" more. But the ride is about the same as cut coils. Mine rides great though with stiff shocks.

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    You could pull the center leaf from the spring pack. But you may not be able to get the u bolts loose, especially if the ends are damaged. Otherwise there isn't much else to be done. Don't forget when you pull a leaf to loosen the rear shackle bolts top and bottom then set the weight on the axle again. They will squat to a new position and not be held up in the old wear pattern still.

10. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    What are your other few tricks? Could you post pictures up of what you have done to the inner fenders? I don't think I could bear to beat on the truck with a hammer as clean and straight as it is...

11. Aircooled

Aircooled Member

Truck:
    81 Pickup, 83 Pickup
    :jawdrop: clean truck! go 22r! I want a 60s hilux and build a 20r/22r for it! Keep it nice and clean. If the emissions is anything like the 22r its all fairly simple. You only need the vacuum advance to run the car everything else can be ripped off and plugged up but im not sure on the 18r not familiar with it.

12. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Technically, the easiest from a bolt-in POV, would be the 18RG :cool: since the blocks are the same.

Yeah, I know they're almost as rare as hen's teeth and will cost you an arm and a leg :rolleyes: but they make so much more power than a 2xR and they look and sound so sweet. :D

Otherwise, I agree that the 22R would be the easiest, more practical and cheaper swap... :)

13. standardbyker88

Truck:
    One of the little tricks up front is also ditching the rubber spring pads top an bottom. I also took out my sway bar for clearance.

You don't see any of the hammering. It's all above the tire tread. I have lots of pics in my thread. Ill try to find some later.

14. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Anyone have an 18RG? My truck isn't starting for some reason now, went through and did the easy stuff (cap, rotor, plugs) and it still just cranks and doesn't start. I will try if I press the gas pedal all the way to the floor but still won't do it.... :(

15. Inertia

Inertia Enthusiast

2 things try looking for spark or fuel to easiest way is .
    Inline ignition spark checker
    Spray starting fluid
    Either spark or gas if not something major

16. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Everything worked fine, for some reason after Seafoaming the engine the timing was off. I don't know if it cleaned something out of the carb that was affecting the vacuum advance on the dizzy or something. Advance the timing a few turns on the vacuum knob, she runs fine now.... go figure. Anyone ever experience something like this?

17. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    What is your guys' opinion on maybe a 5 speed and 4A-GE swap ditching the fuel injection for a set of dual Webers?

18. standardbyker88

Truck:
    It would be cool. 4A motors came FWD and RWD so parts should be available. Little smaller but these old trucks are light weight. Lotta unique factor.

19. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I wonder what the difficulty level is like?

20. standardbyker88

Truck:
    If the EFI motor you want has a distributor, its pretty simple to swap to carb. As far as dropping it in, I can't see it being more than welding in some motor mounts on your frame if things aren't close enough to bolt up of adapt the mounts to do so. And check for radiator outlet locations. Make sure those match up or find a new radiator. Sounds like fun to me.