coil wiring diagram for my 74 hilux

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Comrade_Charlie, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Im am getting no spark with a 74 toyota I have. the fenders were cut out because the guy I got it from was going to "bag" it. and the wiring is all over the place.

Is there a way to test the coil with a voltmeter? I tried 2 other ones and nothing, I made sure they were for a points ignition system

I have the wiring diagram but it leaves some stuff out

like A: I dont even know what that is

B: which one is pos and negative, I assume the bottom one is negative but I dont know for sure.

C: 1: Does the ign relay need to be grounded? the fender wells are cut out so it is just hanging from the harness right now.

2: can I just use any relay? like Nissan relays I have a bunch of those and I think they only have 3 connections like this toyota one does.

[​IMG]

Im trying to understand how all this work, I understand it as this(how I drawn it here). But shouldnt there be a relay after the resistor and connected strait to a 12v souce? Im confused on how that should be wired up.

I dont know, maybe im retarded lol. As long as im getting a 12v signal to the postive on the coil, and have the negative connected to the points, then I should get spark right?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    I think I finally figured it out by just reading other sites, when cranking the relay opens to let just a 12v souce to the pos on the coil, when its not cranking the coil gets its 12v souce from the resistor, then just the neg on the coil goes to the points on the dist.

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    if that wiring is anything like my 74 corona the "ignition relay option" is a "starter interlock switch".

not sure what excatly it does, but on my wagon its tied into the door, seatbelt, seat pressure, brake pedal, and park saftey switch (was originally a auto).

all them switches had to be triggered for the starter to work, ended up bypassing the whole system.

as to pos/neg going into the coil not sure, those wiring diagrams piss me off cuz they dont label that.

and yes i bet the ig relay has to be grounded, it shows it grounded in the diagram and grounding the case never hurt nothin.

4. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Yea I want to bypass the system to, although mine starts and is less complex im pretty sure.