Autocross beater

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by White Trash, Sep 30, 2013.

1. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    So I swapped an 84 4x parts truck straight across for a running driving 90 short/standard 2x. :D

It was pretty stock with some sweet hubcaps and about the most craptastic exhaust I've ever owned.

This was the day it came home.

[​IMG]

The next day things changed a bit. I've been hoarding a stash of 3rd gen parts for a couple years so now I get to use some of them. I slapped the 4x front end on there and installed the tilt column with delay wipers and steering wheel disconnect from my old wheeler.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In talking with some friends that have been into autocross for a number of years it was decided that I'll build this rig for the "challenge" class which has no rule constraints as to what you can do and is time only.

I have a DOM cage already bent up so now I need to pull the front inner fenders and gut the bed so it's only the bed sides. I've got a fuel cell to put behind the axle with the battery next to it. I've got a stash of urethane bushings, heims and threaded bungs to build a set of truck arms ala nascar and panhard bar.

The truck has brand new rotors and calipers that will get put on the rear when I gather the parts for crown vic front brakes. I've got a large V6 booster another set of stainless lines to go on too.

As for engine mods I'll leave it alone till it proves to be a limiting factor. It has plenty of gitty up for now with a 32/36 weber and header backed by some crappy piping with a flowmaster. I scored in that it has a 4 speed with an 8" diff and 3.07's. I've got 4.10's open and welded along with a 4.56 V6 diff that will get a supra limited slip once I source one for cheap. It's also running manual steering and I adjusted the slop out of it so it's very precise and turns saweet!

I'm stoked to get this build under way. :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Wow great trade. Lookig forward to build. Very interested in the custom suspension. Also any info on how the v6 booster helps would be great. Is it a straight swap?

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The suspension is incredibly simple, basically a set of truck arms from a 60-72 chevy pickup with adjustable mounts. The booster is a direct swap, I have one on my 84 x cab with a 15/16" master from a 90 4x4 and it makes for some awesome braking but the small stock stuff fades pretty quickly.

4. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

I look forward to seeing this build.

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Little update finally. :D

Last night I slapped some 3" blocks on the back, dropped the torsion bars, swapped the 3.07's out for some welded 4.10's and put some old school bias scat tracs onto the back. What a damned riot the truck is to drive now. :lol:

[​IMG]

Coming back home last night I figured out the timing was way off due to a a slight backfire when cruising on the highway. Today I backed the timing off and stuck a vacuum gauge on it. Holy crap it was messed up! Timing was waaay fast, idle was way fat, idle way too low and both sides of the vacuum advance on the distributor were hooked to direct vacuum. It runs so much better now. :D

6. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Cant wait to see some action photos of this truck.

7. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    I must say the 2wd toyota truck does really well in auto cross my truck is very competitive for it's lack lust of power it has (I would stay away from welded diff for auto cross)

save up for a true track or supra lsd or swap to 8 inc and run the mk3 clutch pack diff

8. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    No doubt the welded diff won't be there for the autocross season next year. It was swapped in because it was sitting on the bench fresh out of my wifes 4runner and I was going to be back there anyway putting blocks in. And so I could have some fun before tearing the truck down for it's rebuild. :D

I have a 53" wide 8" housing & shafts from an old 76 truck I had and a V6 3rd with 4.56's for it. It'll be getting discs and either a tru trac or supra diff rebuilt with better clutches. I'm going to be swapping that axle in when I do the rear suspension.

Like I said I have a stockpile of parts that I've been hoarding for years. Urethane link bushings, heims, threaded tube inserts, DOM tubing, 5 point harnesses, stainless brake lines, V6 brake booster, 1" master cylinder, fuel cell, battery relocation parts etc etc etc. I need to clean out the garage a bit and either fix my old welded or buy a new one then it's game on. :waytogo:

9. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    My order from summit came in yesterday so now I have my exhaust parts and K&N filter, now I'm just waiting on the order from LCE so I have the adapter from the weber to a 5 1/8" round filter base.

I had a rethink yesterday of my carb issues and figured it was a vacuum leak.

[​IMG]

I was right. :lol: Amazingly the 2 piece adapter had good gaskets but the base plate obviously did not.

10. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    You had the bolts too snug. I do it too. It squishes the gasket with the weber base ports. I had to do the same gasket two months ago. That's why I always keep spares in the truck.

11. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Negative goat rider the carb was actually loose and I hadn't touched it since I got the truck. That gasket was made out of some craptastic paper and it failed at the narrowest part right above the recessed allen bolts holding the adapter together. I cut a new gasket out of some nice thick material and snugged the carb down, If it fails again I'll either go to a 1 piece adapter or swap to a Offenhauser intake if I find a deal on one.

12. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    My adapter from LCE came in today so when I got home from work I slapped the new set up on the truck. It's a VERY nice piece! I was surprised at the quality for the price, even though it's a simple plate adapter it's still nice. :D

Weber 32/36/38 Carb to K&N Filter Adapter Kit

I coupled that with a remote filter neck I've been holding onto for well over a decade and the K&N filter I got from summit last week and now I'm in business. I'll build a box behind the headlight to keep the heat away from the filter once I move the battery but for now I just ghetto'd it and raised the hood at the hinges to clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    So here's the pics of what I started with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awesome right? :lol:

And this is what I ended up with. It's pretty decent but I need to pull the header and weld the top of the collector a bit better and chain down the motormount on the driver side to keep engine lift at a minimum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    oh that wont be annoying at all I must say lol

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  15. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I really thought it was going to suck too but honestly it is pretty quiet inside. The drone that was there with the old exhaust ending under the bed is gone so now you can actually have a conversation. Once I get my W58 put in so I'm not going down the freeway at 4k it'll be even better. :lol:

I pulled the header and tipped it down and welded the 3/4" I missed across the top and hit a few pin holes and now it's all good. :D

16. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I need to yank my header out and weld up all the broken welds too. And stick an O2 bung in for my gauge. I'm shocked my cheapie pacesetter lasted 5 years so far.

Your exhaust isn't much forward of mine and I have no drone to speak of. Windows down isn't even that bad.

17. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I've got a pacesetter in my 84 and I was surprised at how good it is. Of course the LCE pro header I kept off my 78 when I sold it has way thicker tubes and thicker flange but duh it's over twice the cost of the pacesetter. :lol:

18. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I've been happy with mine. The collector is a bit flat on the bottom and the original flare of the tube holding the ring on dragged off. Welded it back on solid and its been fine since. No problems up top.

19. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    It was a weird 60* day today so I was driving with my window down. This muffler fawking SUCKS! It's a flowdisaster but it has no tone to it at all just raspy. Guess I'll be ordering up a borla sooner than I thought because I can't handle a rig that sounds this bad. :lol:

20. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Which Borla? I've had the best luck with a perforated tube resonator and perforated tube muffler. I thought it'd be louder with no baffles, but it sounded good. Even better after I added the turbo.