'93 Toyota 2X4 Reg. Cab "landscaping" pickup.

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 93_Toy_Mini, May 22, 2013.

1. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Couldn't figure out how to fix the picture links so I am doing it over again...

Original Post Date 01/06/2012

Hi, I am new to TM and I wanted to put some pix up of my build. I bought this truck in 2011 and I have made it a point to try to do this on a budget. I bought it from a man that said he used it for "landscaping" while I was living in Roseville, CA. That is in the Sac Metro area. The guy wanted $1000 for it and said it was sound. I was a vehicle mechanic in the Air Force and a graduate of Universal Technical Institute and I have worked as a salesman before so I know my cars. I know what he had and it was abused but wasn't unrepairable. I bought it for $600 cash. It was supposed to be my daily driver while I fixed up another project but that project was sold because I lost interest in that one. The truck needed less work money wise to make it streetable and I did not want to be driving a hoopdee. So a month after I bought it I gutted it out because it smelled like mildew and had black mold on it not to mention about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch layer of dust, dirt and animal hair all over it. Every bare metal piece was covered in rust. I spent my spare time online and at wreaking yards in Rancho Cordova, Rocklin and Antelope CA. I could go to. I also found a retired mechanic in Loomis, CA. that has 8 or 9 of them at his huge house. He likes buying them and using several to make one good one. I aquired lots of things from him that I could not find and he has LOTS AND TONS OF THINGS at his house. Its all about making connections. So the following is pictures of what I have so far but I never took pictures of what it looked like before I started. I didn't really pay any attention to the truck at first because it was just supposed to be a beater.

This is the original bed that came in the truck

[​IMG]

This is the new bed that I bought from that guy in Loomis for $100

[​IMG]

This is almost what the inside of the cab looked like, mine was worse. This is one I found at Pick N Pull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my truck after I gutted it and I snatched some rims off of Craigslist for $350. 20" Black w/ polished lip. Tires are not matching but they all have 90% tread left and some curb rash which didn't really matter to me because I want to paint the lips white but I did not let him know that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had dents to fix so I started on that.

[​IMG]

The biggest repair I had to fix

[​IMG]

The cab after I took the dash out, cleaned it, and washed it

[​IMG]

The front

[​IMG]

The following is picture things that I refinished. The carpet I got used from Pick n Pull for $6 and I painted it myself

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dash before and after

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Various dash pieces after painting them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A-Pillar support beam

[​IMG]

Pedal Assembly

[​IMG]

Pictures of the beam, pedals, and column back in the truck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to work on the drivers side damage. I cut out the damaged area and got a donor piece from my friend in Loomis. Cut the exact piece out and spot welded it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures of the new MIG welder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Messing around with Flux Core and Shielding Gas welding

[​IMG]

Decided to go with Gas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I grinded all the welds down to get it ready for filler and primer...

Then I got started on the seats that I bought. It was really hard to find 60/40 seats. Everyone that I asked was also looking for some. I got lucking at a salvage yard in Rancho Cordova, CA. They where not cheat as I wanted but the guy knew his stuff and how rare they wrer and in this condition. The 60/40 bench seat wasn't a direct bolt on. Mine came with a fuul bench which uses 4 bolts and the 60/40 uses 8 bolts.I still need to work on the seats because I am only using 6 right now but here is some of the fab that I did on one part of the brackets. I had to cut about 1/2' from the drivers seat left rear bracket to make the seat sit level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got new gauge faces for my cluster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to the suspension. I took mostly pictures of the front since that was more involved than the rear. I went with DJM 3"/4" Kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the drop on my 20s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This stuff will be for sale after I take it off the truck...

2. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    '93 Toyota 2X4 Reg. Cab "landscaping" pickup. Part 2

At the time I took the pictures I had not yet completed the rear but its now done. These pictures are all old

This is the start of the body work. I took out the windshileld because it had a crack and to save on a new one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I moved from Roseville so I had to put it all back together and after that progress has come to a crawl. I have done some things but the weather has made it more difficult to work on it. However we have not been getting snow so I am trying to straighten out my garage so I can work on it. I have more picture I will post up later.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Update 05/21/2013

After a while of riding around for a while at 3"/4", I wanted to go lower as everyone else and for a while I was thinking of staying with the whole static drop style but after getting some totals together, I thought I would just bag the truck and get it done. Since I left Roseville, CA. I did not do a whole lot. I redid the door panels, partially installed the stereo, put sound deadening in the cab, I picked up some 4x4 fenders and new rims. I sold the 20" for $400 because I didn't want to go that big. I got new headlights and a 55W HID kit. I started buying the parts to bag the truck in the beginning of the year. Mostly from the guys at KBS Fabrication (formally Cando Specialties). Thanks guys! So here are some pictures...

These are the component speakers I put in the stock location in the dash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My little Model that I bought that I wanted to design my truck after but I am still deciding on that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the new panels I made

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to modify these because I got thicker board

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I installed the sound deadening to deaden some of the panels. I still have some plans going on so I did not cover the whole thing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are of the new rims I got, I liked how they were flush to the fender. They also show the 4x4 fenders, I had to get OEM for best fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what is looks like today with the exception of the windows were tinted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are my old fenders and clearance lights, still have them. For sale $70 for all.

[​IMG]

These are the component 6.5" I put in the door panels

[​IMG]

Manuals I scored from my last job

[​IMG]

The door panel, my first attempt at it. I have since painted the latch and the handle, I also got new black anodized window handles.

[​IMG]

The new headlights

[​IMG]

My new Everlast 4 in 1 Multi- Process Welder/Plasma Cutter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 4-link, tranny X-member, shock mounts, bag mounts, upper and lower arms all laid out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was so excited when this came

[​IMG]

I got it all put together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did not have a 220V 50amp plug in my house so I had to do a log of research to do it right. I have a video on YouTube

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the Water Cooler for my TIG machine

[​IMG]

So that is it for now, I am expecting my shocks and front shock mounts soon. Then the bags and I should have 95% of my list ready but enough to start on the truck. I have the whole month of June to work on it so expect more pictures soon. Thanks again for checking my thread out!

3. EasNitN38

EasNitN38 Member

Sick build so far man. Should've kept the 20s. Lol
    I had to do a bunch of work to make 20s fit on mine but it was well worth it so I could be static and have the wheels tuck

4. white93turbotruck

white93turbotruck Enthusiast

were did you buy the model scale from???

5. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    From Ebay, look up Aoshima Toyota Pickup

6. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Looks good.You have brought her a long ways.I'm thinking the 20's might go better with the bags but It might be too early to tell.Keep it up partner.I'll be watching.I have those same headlight but I think you have the black version which I now want lol.I am happy with mine though.They look sick at night.

7. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    I was going to go with 20" but I decided I didn't really want to turn that much mass but who knows... I have a Lexus LS400 V8 swap, 12" big brake front conversion and rear disc conversion in my plans so we'll see.

8. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    New stuff came in... front shock mounts and rear shocks...

[​IMG]

Tomorrow the front shocks should be coming.

9. HEIGHTZ

HEIGHTZ Member

Truck:
    93 4runner
    watcha doin with the old djm lowers? cough cough cash in hand?

10. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Selling them, however this is my daily... Soooooo... they won't be for sale until after June 6th. I am planning on selling them with the blocks as a kit like it came. It's worth more that way to the right person. :waytogo:

11. Drift Disciple

Drift Disciple Enthusiast

Truck:
    95 single cab 2wd 5spd 4cyl standard bed
    june 6th ehh:thinking: guess this puts me second in line then. message me when they're for sale i wouldn't mind taking them off your hands. as long as it comes a 100% completed kit like you would buy from them. also super jelly on your tig machine... water pump on mine went tits up

12. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Do you have the same welder?

On another note, I have all my shocks now...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  13. TDS909

TDS909 Veteran

Truck:
    1992 st cab
    Dam your kicking ass on that truck, good job

14. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Nice truck and nice set of shop equipment that's what I like to see!!!!

15. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    good progress. I LOOOOVE those speaker grilles. You wanna sell them to me or show me where to get them? And I like all the photos you took on making custom door panels. I will be doing the same thing tomorrow it looks like. Hilux full panels to replace the half panels. Keep us updated.

16. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    I am not selling them but the brand is Soundstream and I think the website is Soundstream

17. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Are those LED tail lights? Truck is looking great.

18. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Yes, I got those off of eBay. I might snatch me another pair because they will probably stop making them soon.

19. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Here is my stereo setup but I have not yet fully installed it. I have lots of ideas for the interior so it will probably be the last thing that I do.

4" component dash, 6.5" component door and Cap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6.5 component door speakers out of the box

[​IMG]

15f Cap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5-Channel Amp

[​IMG]

This is the head unit I would like to get. Right now I just have a cheap USB/SD Card/Radio one that does the trick.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  20. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Fancy deck. I like the spider themed gear youre running. Should sound killer. I would love speakers bigger than a penny in my truck. I run my ipod hooked right to ear buds :ROFL: