my 84 slow work in progress project

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by esuever, Sep 26, 2012.

1. esuever

esuever Member

Truck:
    84 standard cab
    well been looking at all the other threads checking out trucks etc etc, so i decided id throw my dd project up. this truck was handed down to me as my first vehicle and has been family owned since 84. its a budget project for me but it deserves all i can do with my part time job/college so nothing incredible but here we go. So far ive done a 22r to a 95 22re swap + battery/intake swap. the 22re is rebuilt and has performance cams everything else is all stock, looking for a supra afm and may upgrade whatever else i can in the future. Ive also swapped out the w42 4 speed to a w56 5 speed. Got ahold of an 86 4x4 cali bed + fenders and thrue them on. sitting on 18s with torsions/bj flip up front, and 2" blocks in the rear i have a set of 3" blocks as well just debating on putting em on was a pain in the ass, and im told itl make it ride like crap. I swapped out the old horrid condition bench seat and flacky cracked dash for sr5 interior. working on finding an sr5 cluster. Its got two 12s tucked behind the seats "barely fit" touchscreen deck reverse camera came with it and a total of 6 speakers. really wish it was an extra cab that extra room would be nice but owell. Next up on my to do list would be an exhaust system need to do some reaserch on the sounds with this motor. then ill be starting bodywork on minor dings/dents and getting it painted "currently rattle canned" debating on keeping the white/black scheme, or possibly a silver and black i havint decided yet. im going to clean up the engine bay as well and get the plenum/intake and valve cover powdercoated or polished if possible replace all the black lines and vacuum with blue OR depending on the difficulty and cost i may bag it i dont know yet this is all firsts for me and budget lol.

this is what it was and the oldest pic of it at the time when i got it with 360k miles on it and running on 3 pistons. i do not have a pic of the old interior but just imagine interior + dirt/oil + weather + blender.
    [​IMG]

and this is it currently
    [​IMG]
    lol noticed overspray going to have to fix that
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ill throw up more after i get it painted, or bagged then painted depending on what route i go if any1 has questions about the engine/tranny swaps etc etc ill gladly pass on the info i kinda just crashed coursed my way thrue it all and hoped for the best luckily its all basicly interchangable and pretty easy. heres a link to an album with some other pics ive taken while i was in the process of doing my swaps and whatnot. http://s462.photobucket.com/albums/qq349/havok8888/my toyota pickup/

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    Arctic Taco likes this.
  2. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    wat did u do with ur original body parts lol btw the truck looks super clean

3. esuever

esuever Member

Truck:
    84 standard cab
    i still have my old bed, fenders, and the bucket seat. the old bed has a big dent in the passanger side quarter panel so its probably not of any use both fenders are perfect though. i still have my 4 speed as well which with all the miles on it still works perfect these w series trannies rock guess i have a backup tranny lol

4. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    I really like what you have done to the truck. Clean and simple. The photos you took are they edited at all?

5. esuever

esuever Member

Truck:
    84 standard cab
    no not at all just took the new ones with a new camera i had to buy my gf today the weather was perfect lol

6. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Did you say u rattle canned the truck cause that thing looks good

7. esuever

esuever Member

Truck:
    84 standard cab
    lol i am the boss with rattlecan. i did a layer of primer white with the lined nozel sprayers not circled "circled sucks". then multiple layers of gloss white with the same nozel sprayers, pick em up at like walmart 1$ a can and buy one expensive can with the nozel you want and use that nozel. it looks pretty good but it gets dirty really quickly without the clearcoat if im not carefull like greasy handprints etc. its just temporary since its my dd till im ready to have it painted

8. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    fuk ya bro looks nice.Not an easy conversion from 22r to 22re. Fuel pump, dist., comp box fuses all thats a headache. Came out nice. Rattle can and all.I like the black and white thats what I did too[​IMG]but I blacked out my turn signals and ran the flasher to the corner lights. Yours look nicer though.shoots

9. esuever

esuever Member

Truck:
    84 standard cab
    hell if i still had my extra windshield liners id send em your way i snagged like 3-4 different sets to piece together to get a good full set from a couple pick n pulls, lol any other yota guys probably mad when they cant find em anymore. "debating on painting them black as they are chrome and do not match with anything else idk yet" yours looks good though just missin a few things like mine was. how did u set up the blinkers just tapped the wires in? would kinda be intrested in the blinkers up top with the running lights.

10. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    ya there is a rust spot on the top corner of the windshield so i've got to pull of the ws first repair the spot then put it back with the new strip. I have it just the truck was my daily so didnt have the opportunity to repair the whole.Fuggin drips down the inside of the ws when it rains hard. The lights I just took the wires from the blinker and used the harness from the corner lights. Someone elso on here turned me on to these LEDs that I plan on using next. I will wire the outer corner lights to the blinker and the inners to the corner lights. ex: (0) (0) (=turn 0=head light )=running light aka corner light[​IMG]

11. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    not sure if that worked here it is again[​IMG]

12. esuever

esuever Member

Truck:
    84 standard cab
    when u get that done send me some pics i wanna see if i like ill have ta copy you lol.

13. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
  14. esuever

esuever Member

Truck:
    84 standard cab
    sooo ive found myself an awesome deal on an exhaust system for my truck and im wondering if its worth it. it is off a wrecked 93 toyota pickup. includes a pace setter header, a magnaflow exhaust, a highflow cat and all 2 1/2 inch pipe. done a little research and im hearing that these pace setter headers are crap and not worth it and that the stock headers are good as is. do any of you have any experiance or input on this? debating on the headers, may just get the cat + muffler "currently running with a hollowed out cat" at least then itl sound pretty good i hope. anyone happen to have some videos of their 22res with exhaust systems, theres like 2 on youtube.

15. esuever

esuever Member

Truck:
    84 standard cab
    decided to get the exhaust and im glad i did. installed it all today, includes all 2 1/2" pipe, a pace setter header, high flow cat, and a magnaflow muffler. its a bit louder then i expected haha, but it sounds pretty kick ass for a 22re 4 banger lol well worth the money spent. it did make a noticeable difference to how it ran as well, it feels more open more peppy u could say. also picked up an 87 supra afm and sodered in the board off the original afm, i havint installed it yet but ill see how it does tomarrow. also ordered up my sr5 cluster hopefully itl be here soon i want a tach!

heres the exhaust ill throw up more pics and a video of how it sounds tomarrow
    [​IMG]
    installed
    [​IMG]

heres the supra afm with the circut board from the 22re soddered in
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  16. kingtacoma951

kingtacoma951 Addict

Truck:
    88 SR5 Xtra Cab
    good work man...im deciding to do the 4x4 fenders but not sure i like the tight fit i have now :)

17. esuever

esuever Member

Truck:
    84 standard cab
    yeah if u do you deffinitly need wider rims/tires or youl lose the tight fit, or you can go the route i went with the 1 1/4" spacers, i had to buy the expensive ones cause the cheap ones vibrate. it looked like crap before i thrue spacers on with the 4wd fenders.

18. esuever

esuever Member

Truck:
    84 standard cab
    ok so heres the video of how it sounds. its running rich atm because ive got the supra afm in it, and its a bit difficult to adjust untill i get my afm wideband fual/air guage. its alot louder then i thought it was going to be, i dont particularly like the ricer sound on hondas, but owell lol i kinda like it gives it some attitude.
    my toyota pickup :: MOV00056.mp4 video by havok8888 - Photobucket

19. esuever

esuever Member

Truck:
    84 standard cab
    heres a couple more pics of exhaust and the supra afm. i took a pic of the supra afm and the stock afm to give an idea just how big a difference in size they are. also the intake and output tubes are about twice the size of the stock ones i would take pics to show but i dont feel like taking it back off the truck again lol.

[​IMG]

i cant decide what i want to do for a tip yet.
    [​IMG]

didint care about painting the header so it isint pretty but it works quite well. i had to bend the pipe a bit and cut off one of the mounts on the copper exhaust recirculating pipes u see that mounts to the header to make it fit right.
    [​IMG]

and here is the 87 supra afm "bottom" and the stock afm overall size difference. the intake and output tubes are twice the size as well. stock afm is very resitricting compared to the supra afm. 30$ awesome mod id recomend
    [​IMG]

20. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    nice work brother. I had the pacesetter long stacks before and they were ok for a while but they eventually had pin size rust holes right at the flange where the four pipes merge. I would of had to cut away and re weld. Just not worth so I got the headman shortstacks.Btw I ordered those led headlights and plan on instaling once they come in so I'll let you know how that goes