85 Xtra Cab

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by someday, Nov 26, 2012.

1. someday

someday Member

Truck:
    85 xtra cab
    Hello. I posted an intro thread a year ago, and recently updated it, but figured it would be better as a build thread, so I am making this post.

I got the truck given to me a year ago with 238k miles and a smooshed front end. 245k now, and better front :D

Here's some of the progress pics.

Here it was when I got it, and then drove it home (SB, CA).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lowered 2" front, & 3" back (blocks and spindles)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16X8 & 16X9 Mitsubishi Starion wheels, yakima roof rack
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

new bumper, 1.5 lower in front (torsion bars) and isuzu rodeo lower bumper (inspired by Yotarip's Truck)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AGUILAR3

AGUILAR3 Veteran

Nice progress. What are your future plans for the truck?

3. jaybee

jaybee Addict

Truck:
    1987 yota truck
    Nice valance

4. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    Trucks awsome i bet u get thunbs up out there in santa barbara

5. someday

someday Member

Truck:
    85 xtra cab
    I'd like to go lower, and maybe get some some black rock wheels. I'd also be down to drop a hybrid engine in there if I could find one that fits :D I have a spare 20r and tranny I suppose I should just rebuild that. The current 22r is leaking oil pretty consistently. I might pull out the 22r and swap with a 20r while I rebuild the 22 into a stronger engine. Anyone have links to 22r build ups or even just links to 22r intake upgrades?

6. 89-ED7

89-ED7 Member

Truck:
    87 2wd x-cab
    are those 1a yakima towers? i was thinking of ordering some for my truck but was unsure that those were the correct towers. truck looks good by the way. great start.

7. someday

someday Member

Truck:
    85 xtra cab
    Thanks man. Ya those look like the 1a's (did quick image search) They fit with no problem. I got them from craigslist, and then next day by buddy, who is moving to Hawaii saw them and told me he had the same rack that he would have given me for free if he knew I was looking for one. He ended up giving it to me anyway :D

8. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    She cleaned up real nice bro.I'm still looking for that rodeo valance over here.

9. someday

someday Member

Truck:
    85 xtra cab
    I went to the local auto recyclers and they pulled it off of one that happened to be sitting in the back. Santa Barbara is pretty small so I was excited they had one in. Good luck finding one. I bet you'll come across one soon. It's held on only with zip ties too.

10. 86extTURBO

86extTURBO Veteran

Truck:
    1986 ext cab Turbo
    well can i call dibs on the starions if you decide to change your rims?

11. someday

someday Member

Truck:
    85 xtra cab
    Hahaha. I'll probably end up just keeping them when I get a new set. Who knows what other car I might want to put them on in the future! I got them off Craigslist list 2 weeks ago in Orange County for $190. I bet you'll run across another set soon. Good luck with your search!

12. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Nice.

IS THAT BRDSHT THAT ATE YOUR FENDERS?!

13. Enemy of the State

Enemy of the State Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 xtra cab
    Truck looks great!

14. someday

someday Member

Truck:
    85 xtra cab
    That was moss all over it. It was left sitting outside under a tree or something for about a year I was told. It's taken some scrubbing, but I have most of it off.

I went to the tire shop yesterday to get some new rubber, and on the way I caught a reflection. I swear, it's the little things in life that make me he most happy.

[​IMG]

Once I got to the tire shop they put the truck up on the lift and started pulling off tires, and deflating the air. I'm going for a stretched sidewall so I can get some more clearance and go lower, but the new tires just wouldn't seal up. The tech didn't have the proper tool to blast in the extra air, but said he would today, so back I go at 4:30

[​IMG]

And there it is back on the old tires.

[​IMG]

I should have some more updates by tomorrow.

15. someday

someday Member

Truck:
    85 xtra cab
    Update - Good and Bad.

This has been an interesting week for my truck. There's a couple of things that's been bothering me about the truck that I wanted to take care of this week. My starter was just grinding 50% of the time and embarrassing me when I'm trying to go somewhere. I figured this old ass starter was finally going out, so I bought a new starter.

When I went to remove the old starter I found the bottom bolt on the starter, but couldn't feel the top on. Upon closer inspection, turns out there was no bolt and the starter was basically at a 45 degree angle, barely hanging on by the bottom bolt, that was very loose. I couldn't find a bolt to go into the top, so I opt-ed for the zip-tie route and will return the new starter today. While I was under the truck I decided to start taking off the years of oil and grime that's built up under the truck from an oil leak I have yet to locate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went Firestone originally to get tires (the posts above) and they couldn't get them to fit. Then next day, instead of going back to Firestone, I found a better deal through a local Big Brand tires, so I went there.

I know techs probably hate the fact that I watch what their doing, but it really paid off this time. I usually watch because I want to learn tricks and techniques from people who do it for a living. This time I watched the techs damage my truck and was able to stop them from making it worse.

They parked my truck in front of the garage, and two techs came out with large floor jacks to get the front end in the air. I could see them talking about where they were going to put the jack, and when they agreed, they went on either side of the truck and started jacking it up. For whatever reason, they decided that placing the jacks under the rocker panels was the best option.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's almost identical damage on both sides, with the bead bent under, and the rocker panels buckled in. I was really angry, but they really made me dig in when they said the damage was already there. So I talked to the manager for a while about how he's going going to make it right.

After they put it in the air to take a closer look, they apologized and agreed to pay the bill at the body shop to fix it. They damage isn't that bad when you're standing right next to the truck, but if they're going to pay to fix it, I'm going to let them [read: make them]. I've already got an estimate sent over to them from a body shop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got some accessories for the roof rack. Yakima 44" fairing and Yakima basket, mounted below the rails. The fairing REALLY cut down on the wind noise from the roof rack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This morning at work. Notice the damage on the bottom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    Ive worked at a tire shop ( and other shops ) and it amazes me how many people will jack a car or truck by the pinch welds..

truck looks great thus far!!!!

17. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I can agree.
    That's what happened to my truck about 4 years ago when i took it into get tires mounted on my 14's after i got into that accident. Sam's Club to be exact.it also sucks that i found the problem when it was too late. i have never taken it to a shop ever since. Every tire change,i do the wheel removal myself. My alignments i had at firestone back home,i had my friend do it.a personal mechanic,basically.
    I can't trust many people with what i have, it is pretty sad.

Now im out here in Cali, it is going to be even tougher. I had a shop take my Nitto NT-01's off and they ****ed up my beads. For $70. I got my tires done for $40 with better service back home.

18. kingtacoma951

kingtacoma951 Addict

Truck:
    88 SR5 Xtra Cab
    Trucks nice man....i like that extra cab look with the starions...

19. someday

someday Member

Truck:
    85 xtra cab
    I'm moving so I had to slap the canopy on for a little while. I actually think it looks pretty cool on there, so maybe I'll spend some time and buff out the paint on the canopy! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    i dig the graphics!! truck looks sick!