Taylor Swift's 76' Pickup

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by taswift, Aug 28, 2014.

1. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    So my name is Taylor Swift. I had the name first.... or I'm looking for a break from poop-culture and have an affinity for vintage cars.. Either way, welcome aboard, I'm starting a thread for my 76 Pickup.

It runs like a champ. Currently, there is an exhaust leak, a small amount of rust in the bed, steering is a little loose, and there are no real cup holders. So I think I'm doing alright.

Here are a few pics to satiate your appetites:

Attached Files:

2. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    1st project was building a console for the stereo that the previous owner had zip-tied to the floor vent... nothing wrong with that, just in my neighborhood, i'll need a new window along with the stereo. So I built a little box with some storage and painted it black, nothing fancy, but it works:

Attached Files:

3. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Welcome, that's a clean truck ya got there. I like it a lot.:waytogo:

4. 93TILinfinity

93TILinfinity Veteran

Truck:
    1993 Toyota pickup 2wd 4cyl 5speed cab and a half standard bed
    Hey taylor, ima let you finish your build but beyonce had the greatest mini truck of all time... Haha jk man. Welcome and wow what a nice truck you got there. It just looks so clean:eek: good luck on the build :D

_Rigo_ likes this.
  5. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    Haha, thanks for the welcome. That night changed my life... unfortunately, I do mean that literally. Never the same after that.

There is a lot of info on this site! It's great. I'm looking at a weber carb swap, seems like the thing to do. Seems like it will affect my mpg but makes the motor run better over all.
    The truck came with the rear end gearing from an 84 pickup, it's supposed to be a higher gear ratio for better highway performance. I'm a total noob on gearing ratios and how it is installed. At this point, I'm not on the highway much, but would that be a good future consideration?
    Also considering a painted on rhino type liner. I've found some info buried in some threads, anyone reading this have an opinion? There are a few very small rusty spots around the wheel wells in the bed, thinking of treating those, primer, rhino liner. Any pros/cons of a painted liner vs plastic insert?

Back to the search bar! Thanks for any input and the welcomes. Insert joke about that TSwift song 'Love Story' and my truck :love:

6. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    P.S. any ideas where to find a mounting bracket for the front toyota emblem?

7. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Steer clear of the plastic bed liners as they will trap moisture and cause rust. Do a spray in or none at all.:waytogo:

8. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    Makes sense, thanks!

9. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    Make one, zip tie, or junk yard search. There are a handful currently in some of the local yards. There is one up in my neck of the woods I've been trying to find time to go look at.

x2

10. Erick561

Erick561 Veteran

I ship from New London County CT I Price Match
    Truck:
    79 Toyota Hilux 4WD WHEELING DAILY DRIVER
    cool! I can help you with the exhaust leak and the carb i have comes with a baseplate adapter and was built for a 22R so it'll give you some more power

11. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    Thanks for the help Erick561, looking forward to getting some new parts!

12. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    [​IMG]

Nerd alert. Optimus Prime.

13. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Optimus prime, I think not. Autobot, yes. :lol:

I miss my 78, I tried to buy it back but the kid wouldn't sell it, damnit. :brickknock:

14. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    So I switched out my exhaust manifold. And somewhere along the way I bumped the wire to the temp gauge sensor. Yel/grn, this seems silly, but I can't figure out where it needs to be reconnected. There are seemingly two options nearby, one blew a fuse the other did nothing. Anyone have a non Chiltons manual that can send a pic of the wiring diagram for a 76? Didn't find much in the forums, is there a place on the site these types of things live?

Attached Files:

15. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    My temp sensor was in the thermostat housing but at least you'll know what it looks like. :D

[​IMG]

16. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Now that is cool. :waytogo: I like it a lot.

17. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    STOLEN TRUCK

Well I went out to hop in my truck and go to work this morning.... and it wasn't where I left it. So I walked around the neighborhood, no where to be found. Reported it and whatnot.

If anyone in the PNW sees a 1976 Toyota Pickup, LIC: B08662F
    [​IMG]

18. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Oh wow, super sorry to here that. Such a clean truck too. Any word on it yet?

19. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    SHE LIVES!!
    Got a call from a friend on his way home from work, he says, "hey dude, I just found your truck!"
    He gave me the cross streets, it wasn't even 2mi from my house! Drove over to check it out, I was in the process of moving and didn't have my key with me. The door was unlocked, everything was still in it. Stereo, engine, jumper cables.... the only thing that was noticeably different was there was an odd empty beer can in the back and some cigarette butts. Ran over to the auto parts store, picked up a club steering wheel lock to hopefully keep it there for one more night till i could come back with the key after work the next day.

Came back the next day, tried the key, she turned over all right but wouldn't catch. Went and grabbed a gallon of gas, and she fired right up! Looked like it had been sitting there the whole time it was gone, almost 5 months!

I still can't believe it. So glad to have it back! Needs an oil change and some attention, but I got my truck back!!

20. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Hell yes! That's awesome you found it let's hope it stays that way. :waytogo: