building a 79 need help

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by sittingonframe, Nov 15, 2009.

1. sittingonframe

sittingonframe Member

Truck:
    79 toyota standard cab
    hey, I recently bought a 79 yota and need some help with a couple things. I curently have a 2" body drop, C notch in the rear, I z'd the frame in the front and sat the truck on frame! Im guessing its lowered about 12" and im having to cut out the center tranny crossmember for clearance. I am custom building a hood and im having some problem clearing the brake booster with the tire! So im getting some KMC monsters with a huge offset to clear the booster, so i am doing a wide body to compesate for the offset. i am building a custom fourlink in the rear, and looking for some airbags right now but dont have any clue what im looking for. I have also ran into a problem with the front suspension, the top A-arm is to narrow to clear a bag! if u could help me out that would b great!!! Also the guy I bought the truck from told me not to do the bag over axel. I was wondering what the pros and cons were??? any info would b greatly appreciated :) thanks

2. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    you could always recess the brake booster in the firewall.

widebody would be sick, but make it look clean and as if it weren't touched, go with the original bodylines. that'll be a great look.

Ask Burnzya (bernie) for some help with the bagging. I'm not a bagger lol

3. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    I believe everyone is moving the booster inside the cab on our body style truck.

4. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63 Member

Truck:
    70 Hilux
    you could also go to a smaller booster, i know that there are other models out there that have a small diameter. I see them on hot rods and customs all the time, just be sure to do a booster + master swap because the booster must match the throw on the master cylinder.

as far as the bag over axle setup, its about ride and preference. Rides are very soft on trucks with bag over axle because there is little weight in the rear of a truck. Your bag is at a 1:1 lift ratio when it is over the axle, meaning no odd leverage is applied, meaning that the weight force the bag sees is the weight of the truck. This is why some people run those sleeve type bags in rear because the spring rate is stiffer because more pressure is needed to lift it. With, say an RE-6 slam bag, The pressure to get teh thing say 2 inches off the ground might be 15psi (extreme guess) which will make the spring rate really really soft, making it necessary to have a really stiff, heavy shock.

Now with a bag on bars, or cantilever style setup, you are multiplying the weight force seen by the bag by giving the axle more mechanical advantage. By making the lift ratio 50% of what it used to be, your bag sees twice the weight, giving it a stiffer spring rate at lower heights and at all heights overall. This is how i run most all the setups i do, adjusting the ratio respectively. My rivi, for example, has the bag mount fairly close to the axle...about 75% back towards the axle, and my ride is perfect with a correct shock. You also get more lift as a result of the bag being mounted closer to the pivot point on the chassis then when it is over the axle.

So anyways, after all that mess, there is nothing wrong with bag over axle setups, as long as you take account for all the variables involved and the ride height and quality you want!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  5. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    ^^^ perfectly said!

the stock uppers won't clear the bag. it sounds like they are mounted outwards on the arm, and that makes the upper mount and the upper control arm hit, limiting lift.

you can open up the upper arm and re-inforce, or buy/build some tubular uppers (www.twistedminis.com sells nice arms). or you can move the bag inward, getting it closer to the pivot point on the lower arm. it requires trimming of the crossmember, but also allows for more lift.

it's pretty common to use a 2500# bag up front on the yotas..

6. sittingonframe

sittingonframe Member

Truck:
    79 toyota standard cab
    here are some pics to start

here are some pics of my truck. I was thinking about putting a silvia s13 motor and trans in it what do u guys think??? and thanks for all the info ill keep posting as i build and updating photos as well

Attached Files: