1980 Junk SR5 Build

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by wtsane, Feb 7, 2014.

1. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    I bought this one on ebay while overseas. Been wrecked, then left to sit for what looks like several years. I suppose I should start with the "Before" pictures.

Attached Files:

2. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    More Before Pictures

More before

Attached Files:

3. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    Interior stripped and new dash pad

Photos

Attached Files:

4. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    Interior parts back, just laying over the sound deadening, uninstalled.

Attached Files:

5. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Looking Great !! Interior looks like new.

6. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    Thanks for the kind words, I am too close to the work to see it

7. Tacobeans

Tacobeans Newbie

Truck:
    '79 pickup
    Truck looks great man. Superior job inside.

8. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    More interior and shots of the current wheels. Carpet now installed, awaiting a rubber boot to install the center console and shifter. The plastic piece around the shifter was gone, so i have made a wooden blank, which will be stained and a shifter boot made.

A bit of disappointment today: I spent $149.00 for a pair of bilstein shocks for the front on ebay, they do not fit. The local store doesn't carry them either, and with ebay, I may be SOL.

Attached Files:

9. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    nice

10. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    Today's fun: Addressed the charging issue, replaced the alternator on the 22R which was swapped in rather halfheartedly sometime in the past. Purchased the 1980 alternator, so was able to eliminate the "pigtail" the previous owner had cobbled together out of electrical tape. Charging system now online. The new weber carb kit seems to be mis-adjusted however, has a great deal of trouble with flooding at engine cold. Anyone with an idiot proof adjustment procedure, please speak up (carbs really arent my heavy area.

As an aside, I am routinely horrified to see the state in which people keep their engines. A half hour was spent cleaning the alternator upper bracket, and the engine underside is a study in cemented grime, but that is a fight for another day.

11. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    And now for something completely different. Troubleshot the idle issue today. I have a clogged fuel line, likely from gunk in the fuel tank. Ordered a coating kit, will be draining and dropping the tank when it comes. I can clear the line with compressed air, but the problem returns, and I dont want to deal with it. Wish I could get a plug and play larger tank...

12. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    Fuel Tank 1

Dropped the tank today. The motor was not in a mood to start, so I backed her on to ramps using the starter. From other vehicles, I expected a nightmare, but three bolts for the protective front plate (12mm), Six bolts for the tank (12mm) an she slides right out. There was at least an inch of accumulated mung on the bottom of the tank, the pictures here are after about an hours scrubbing and flushing. I have a POR 15 tank kit coming, and when it dries out, I will shake a length of chain around inside to see what I can get to break free.

The tank is VERY small, I wish it were about twice its size. The Fuel Float and resistor are in very bad shape as well, but replacements don't seem to be available, so I will see what can be sorted. New access gaskets on the way as well, all in all, not a difficult job.

Attached Files:

13. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    Underbody (rear)

Since the tank and the spare are out, It was a good time for some under body shots.

The tank is still birthing rust, as a two foot length of chain is shaken about inside, which I'm doing in bits and bobs until the sealant kit arrives. The last photos is the current state of the inside of the tank

Attached Files:

14. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    Center console

Center console is done, didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but not bad

Attached Files:

15. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Real clean truck. I dig it. Great work.

16. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    Local Junkyard

Found a local junkyard today, off the beaten path, which contains 15-20 toyota trucks, lots of everything, although Florida eats interiors. I found the stock wheels I wanted, as well as a 7.5 (Code F372) differential. When I have the parts I want, I will post the name and number of the shop, there are at least a dozen r22's there, a couple of r20's and scores of axles.

Attached Files:

17. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    Fuel tank coated. I am using the dryer exhaust from the laundry to dry the tank, it is the single source I have for warm dry air in Panhandle Florida. Ordered the TPR-4 auxillary tank from Sunset Metal Fabrication in Oregon. This is the aux tank that nests above the spare, and should more than double the available fuel load. I will photo document the install when it arrives. It was much too expensive, but I don't have the fabrication facilities available to do up a fuel cell properly.

18. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    RPM AT 70 MPH

Assuming:
    Stock 14x78 tires (stock) 25.25 tire diameter
    5th gear ratio of .853

Rear Ratio (some commonly available):

3.07=2439 RPM
    3.30=2622 RPM
    3.55=2821 RPM
    3.90=3099 RPM
    4.10=3258 RPM

Increase in total tire diameter would decrease RPM, using 3.30 as the example rear end
    26=2546 RPM
    26.5=2496 RPM
    27=2452 RPM
    27.5=2408 RPM
    28=2365 RPM

19. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    Rain rain go away. Last night, I was attempting to rehab my gas tank float and sender assembly, when it pretty much fell apart in my hands. I ordered the following from Ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250634996526?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I will do a review of the install when it comes. No one appears to make a direct fit replacement, and talking to the local Toyota dealership here is like trying to knit water.

I have the old pressed board kick panels for my 1980, but I want to install some speaker kicks down there if some can be found or modded. The obvious thing to do is to take one of my kick panels with me when I go to get the wheels from the junk yard, and see how closely they match up to later years, for which speaker panels are available.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  20. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    Productive day: New front shocks, new bushings and pass through(s) on the sway bar, and replaced the bushings on one rear leaf spring, the other remains to be done. Pictures when I raise it up to do the fuel tank(s).