1980 Hybrid DD/work truck

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 93F250, May 31, 2015.

1. 93F250

93F250 Member

Truck:
    80 3/4 ton
    Alright everyone bear with me here this is my first 2wd build ever, just picked up a 1980 yota for $1100. It has the 20r and 4 speed, not too pretty right now but the cab and interior are pretty straight and she runs great. My overall goal for the moment is to build a clean unexpectedly fast truck that handles great; ill be using it mostly for work and DD for at least a year.

First order of business, The bed is junk so ill either be getting a straight one or my buddy wants me to do something different like a flat bed or something, anyone have any cool ideas for that?

Second, I'm going for a 4-5" static drop, when I have the extra funds I'd like to do coil overs on all 4 corners.
    For now I'm going to get upgraded torsion bars and let them down most of the way, and a drop leaf in the rear. I'd also like to add some nice sway bars front and rear before the hybrid goes in.

Lastly, I've got a 22r sitting here so my build plan thus far is to bore the 22r .020, swap the springs and valves over to the 20r head, 280 duration cam, and a weber outlaw. Might swap in a 5 speed not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of that yet. I'm not sure but I may have to anyways since I'm using a 22r block?

Any help, ideas, comments or whatever are always awesome. Thanks for looking

2. 93F250

93F250 Member

Truck:
    80 3/4 ton
    It's only letting me do one at a time so picture one, cabs not to bad.

Attached Files:

3. 93F250

93F250 Member

Truck:
    80 3/4 ton
    Picture 2. I'm really not sure what's up with the stuff they bolted to the bed.

Attached Files:

4. 93F250

93F250 Member

Truck:
    80 3/4 ton
    Last picture for now. It's like they cut part of the bed off and then tried to put it back on. Lol

Attached Files:

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The lower portion probably rusted away. From the quality of craftsmanship I'm guessing an old man did the work. :lol:

My build thread in the 89+ section may help you out with the suspension stuff since most of the parts and tech swap over to your generation.

6. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    Rusted bedsides, no welder, and an overactive imagination?

What shape is the underside of the cab in?

7. 93F250

93F250 Member

Truck:
    80 3/4 ton
    Pretty much what I was thinking. Lol the lower portion in front of the tires was cut off too, they did wood wrapped with fiberglass bolted to an L bracket. Cracked me up but beds are cheap. The frame all seems pretty good. Don't see much rust really at all on the cab. We'll see when I start getting into it, probably get a new bed in a couple weeks.

Attached Files:

8. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    I like the truck for the price. Not sure where your located at but that year truck is hard to find good sheet metal for in my area. Look forward to the build.

9. 93F250

93F250 Member

Truck:
    80 3/4 ton
    Def a good find for the price. Runs great, it'll look 100x better with a bed and paint. I live in Oregon and beds for these pop up I would t say a lot but enough that I'm not overly worried about it. Thanks for lookin!

10. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

So if you're planning to do a hybrid build. Either it'll be easy if your block is 82-84 which your 20r head will bolt right up.
    280 duration is a bit excessive, most likely will require valve relief in the piston since pistons are domed.
    ( if 82-84 block used),

if your block is 85+ your head wont be a bolt on operation as it will need to be milled almost 4mm to match deck height of a later 22r laser block. Same thing with cam.. a bit excessive for the build plan..
    Id stick with a mild cam 239 int 259 ext.. no clearance issue and improves torque etc..

Advantage of the 5 speed is driveability improvement over a sweet 4spd. 5 speeds get you an overdrive. Which improves gas mileage and avoid high rpm on freeway.
    The greatest trans improvement would be to use a w58, with the higher hp you will be getting.. w58 gearing is nicer and better overdrive as well. Same overall length and 22r bell housing bolts right up.
    A celica/supra shifter w58 gets you right in the stock floor cut out. Only mod would be the trans cross member which the trans mount location is about 2 inches off.

Other than that cool little project you got.

11. 93F250

93F250 Member

Truck:
    80 3/4 ton
    It is the earlier 22r, we already checked. Lol.
    Also i know 280 is pretty big but I haven't decided if I'm going to port the head at all. If I just swap valves and springs then ill probably go a bit lower. Just not quite sure yet, I'd like to pull a nice amount of power out of it as it will be there until i aquire a 2jz :headbang: and my understanding is 280 is the best option with head work done. I'm still reading though.

I really don't know to much about yota transmissions so I appreciate that and I will look into it for sure. Just depends how easily I can find one an for how much, the standard pickup 5 speeds are everywhere around here and cheap.
    Thanks for the input! :drunk:

12. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

2jz doesnt fit in our little trucks without cutting up the tunnel and firewall. Also modding the front cross member and more. . there's no reason to trash a truck to fit in an engine.

I'd say go simple on it and if you want a 2j then get a platform that can accept it..

13. 93F250

93F250 Member

Truck:
    80 3/4 ton
    When the 2jz comes the truck body goes. It will become a full race build at that point and I have some ideas that arnt going to be easy or cheap but it will be one of a kind and scary fast. Buuuut that's a different build for a different build thread next year or so. Then the hybrid goes into a sandrail. Lol

14. 93F250

93F250 Member

Truck:
    80 3/4 ton
    Looks much better.
    Canopy gone, ridiculous bumper and such gone.
    Ill Start getting the suspension done in a couple weeks, be lookin for a bed too.

Attached Files:

15. 93F250

93F250 Member

Truck:
    80 3/4 ton
    What y'all think, I was looking for a block to build and came across this for pretty cheap. He got half way through his build and life happened so he needs the cash ASAP. Never run, cost me probably less than half of what I'd spend building it.
    1987 22R fully machined,blueprinted,balanced short block Factory rods polished beams, ARP bolts SpeedPro Hyperutectic pistons, 10.5:1 target compression ratio Coated skirts Clearances set for Hi Performance Hard Use, Custom Made 3/4 groove Main bearings Block Deburred, all oil passages chamfered for increased flow Assembled and Designed by Derek Stewart Racing Engines

16. 93F250

93F250 Member

Truck:
    80 3/4 ton
    Well I bought the block detailed above, next check ill get a head and start buying the parts I need, check after that ill get the headwork done and It will be ready to go in my truck.

Attached Files: