1967 Toyota Stout Restore

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Rustyra24, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

I purchased two Toyota Stouts from a local junk yard. I plan on restoring one and maybe do something crazy with the other. I have one down to the frame. I grabbed RN20 front spindles for a front disc conversion but I might take it one step further and put 92 LS400 brakes and calipers on it. I am keeping everything else original. The other reason I am changing the brake set up because its impossible to find brake parts or they cost a small fortune.

[​IMG]

2. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

Starting sanding it and taking it apart

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

The engine had low compression. Its cause cylinder three decided to blow up. I have most the parts to rebuild it.

[​IMG]

4. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    That's awesome you were able to find 2 of those things, it'll make 1 sweet truck though. Good choice on the front disc swap, I'll be doing the same thing before my motor swap is done, front drums suck. What color are you thinking for the truck? Also, welcome to the forums!

5. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

Here is the frame all torn down for sand blasting.

[​IMG]

6. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

I sand blasted the frame on Monday and starting painting it with KBS Rust Seal. Seems to be a pretty good product just mind the safety precautions. Its just like Por15 but cheaper. Will Do another Coat Tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. YOF

YOF Enthusiast

Truck:
    TOYOTA STOUT 1976 RK101
    Nice one, keep the pics coming ...any disc conversion
    Information welcomed
    I need a tub tray they seem to be everywhere else other
    Than Australia

8. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

I will put picture up of the disc conversion goods I got from a 1975 Hilux. I am not doing the conversion anymore because the wheel cylinders are in great shape. I like things original.

Here is the frame.

[​IMG]

9. YOLO

YOLO Newbie

Truck:
    94 Std Cab
  10. Rcksqrl

Rcksqrl Enthusiast

Truck:
    '85 4Krawler, '67 Stout
    If you want to sell the disc conversion stuff let me know!!

11. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

Here is the differential all painted. Frame is starting to come together.

[​IMG]

12. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

Put the brake lines and put the rear suspension on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

I have a rolling chassis. Now its time to work on the engine and transmission

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

Here is the engine back from the engine shop. Rebuilding the 3R probably doesn't make much sense but I like to keep things original. It will probably run better with modern parts and the ability to breathe better. New valves, springs, etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    I love the progress. It will be really cool to see this project done. Doing a great job. Keep it up:waytogo:

16. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    62 toyopet and 76 toyota stout
    The downfalls of the 3r were fibre timing gears that were prone to fail, but they are available in replacement metal version.
    The other is the heads were prone to cracking if they were exposed to extreme temperature variations withou the correct antifreeze/coolant, as well is they are a low revving engine that really don't like doing much more than 4,000rpm ever.

17. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

What antifreeze/coolant would you recommend? I bought a new fibre gear. what the lifespan on something like that?

Thanks

18. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    I am in Australia so I would not be able to inform you on coolants in the US and with the fibre timing gears toyota originally gave on the 3r and early 5r a 300,000 mile guarantee with regular service, I just know from my love of stouts that the 3r and early 5r it is the fibre timing gears that fail (possible age) but toyota ended up going timing chain after the second year of production of the 5r

19. Rustyra24

Rustyra24 Member

I have no idea the mileage on both my stouts but both Fibre gears looked good. Piston three grenaded on the engine I am rebuilding currently. It looks like the other stout died because of parts availability. It had a corona clutch master cylinder and a wiring nightmare.

20. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    Most parts on the stout are common if you know what else has them except body parts and brake components, the clutch and brake master cylinders are the same as 40 series landcruiser.
    with parts for the 3r they were very popular engines because they were also in toyota crowns, coaster buses, dyna and toyoace trucks, as well as they were also used in daihatsu trucks up until 1969 when they were superseded by the 5r 2000 which was also used in forklifts. Here in Australia many 1970's toyota coaster bus that have been fitted out as mobile homes still have 5r engines and have done the million miles, where ones that had the common conversion of the aussie holden straight six engines (186,202ci) are known as less reliable and many later had regret parting with the indestructible 5r, thats if they were not over revved and alwsys had coolant