11/71 Hilux restoration and modification

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Shifty, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    Hi guys

As per the "Introduction" thread I've recently purchased a first-generation 2WD Hilux with the intention of a restoration and a degree of modernisation.

Stage 1
    Purchase suitable vehicle.
    Done

[​IMG]

Stage 2
    Begin consultation process with Transport-approved engineer to ensure all modifications are 100% legal. I have a lot of stuff in mind, which I'll go into in a future post, but it all depends on what I can & can't get approved as I want this to be 100% legal in every respect. I've spent enough time over the years worrying about getting nicked when I'm minding my own business! So, t's time I had something I know I'm ok to drive around whenever, and wherever, i want.
    Done & will continue as project progresses

Stage 3
    Arrange temporary storage for the ute. I am moving house in 8 weeks so I need somewhere to keep the ute for now, and for the first coupe of weeks after moving. An undriveable vehicle is not a hassle I need just at the moment, but I had to snap the ute up as it was destined for a wrecking yard.
    Organised & will be moved on Saturday
    Thanks to Jez @ Karnage Kustoms for the temporary storage.

Stage 4
    Once the vehicle has been relocated, I want to get a more solid idea of what I'm working with particularly with respect to
    * the physical size of the engine bay
    * potential issues with engine bay layout when considering options for a new engine
    * a solid idea on the condition of the cab & the level of work required
    * stocktake of parts that are/aren't missing and will/won't need repairs
    * catalogue of suspension components that will need to be collected
    To be done on Saturday once vehicle relocated

Stage 5
    During the 8 weeks between now & moving house I will be busy with another vehicle project, but will slowly begin piecing together parts for this restoration. Also intending to continue with research & planning and be involved further with engineer consultations.
    Ongoing process

2. flg8r22

flg8r22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    81 4x4, 83 4x4, 86 4x4
    sounds like a great plan already in motion. it is one cool little truck

3. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
    to much planning

get er done

4. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    A smart man once said:

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

So this one will be a case of slowly slowly catchy monkey rather than getting carried away with the angle grinder.

Out of interest, is the Hilux in your avatar yours? I'd be interested to see more pictures of it if you can email me [email protected]

5. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
    yea ,you got to have a bit of a vision.

yea that little trucks mine.i fixed it up to like you , paint and finger f#ucking all the little parts to look pretty again.i have been meaning to get some more pics up.

click on my user name and go to all post started by me button on my page,and you can see everything i got. the engine room came out good as $hit. check it out.

6. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
  7. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    posted in your thread :)

8. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
    i used it because its a very good one part regular old paint. its got UV protection its shinny and slippery ,and was not intimidating. i did it under my house and did not really cost me nothing.i got 2 quotes for 1000 and 2000 dollars, and there was no way in hell i would spend that on this 500 dollar $hit box.i want to make this truck as nice as I can with my own hands without spending any money on it. I'm not loosing sight of the fact thats its just a little old pick truck.

i have a perfect rear one piece glass, but i doubt it would make it down there in one piece.

get a rear window with the sliding glass for the next generation pickup. its not a direct fit but in a hour or two it fits like a glove, theres a plastic spacer on the top of the aluminum window frame ,they put that in there to have a crown in it to fit the hole. just reshape that crown down about a half inch. leave a crown in it. just take some meat off of it.with a hand plainer,like shaving a swollen wood door
    you do this because its to tall.

then the bottom of the sliding window is to narrow . you have to shape out of 1/8" aluminum, two little crescent moon shaped pieces about 5/8" wide maybe 3" tall. and tap those into each bottom corner of the frame , there is a channel all around the frame. this is no problem.

you take your grinder and just take a little meat off hear and there until she fits just so,,and your in there. it was not hard and ,and it looks factory .no bull $hitting. i did not have to touch the truck at all, just fiddle with the sliding window frame.....it's very nice.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  9. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    sic project!

10. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    Sounds great, interested in pictures once you get the chance.

Initially I was interested in fitting an electric sunroof, as a rear window, but I recently found out how much they cost and nearly had a seizure!! I'm considering a few options, I might also look at adapting a wind-up rear window from a station wagon (not sure what you call them in the states? station sedan maybe?). Either way I want something other than just a standard rear glass, whatever that is.

Have you done much painting before?

11. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
    the is the first car i ever painted, i have shot a few honda ATC frames, and countless diesel engines i have rebuilt.It's a pain in the ass sanding and cleaning and remasking and trying to get everything rite. i am glad thats over with. i hate a ugly $hitty looking unpainted prodgect car in my yard.

12. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    My engineer confirmed that the papers have been finalised & sent to Queensland Transport (our state road/transport authority). Included in the engineering papers are my approval requests for:

• Aristo 2JZGTE & auto with factory ECU & emission controls
    • Firewall, tunnel and tailshaft modifications to suit
    • EFI fuel system
    • RN4x front disc swap
    • MA7x Supra rear disc swap
    • Fitment of boosted dual circuit brake master cylinder
    • Later Hilux LSD & gearset

Basically intending to end up with a 'factory finish' cruiser and a final product that is 100% legal in every aspect.

13. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    Bought my 2JZGTE.

Hopefully the engineer will approve it... if not it doesn't hurt to have a spare 2JZ lying around ;)

14. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    Although I'm not able to do any real work on it, as I'm not moving house for another ~2wks, I'm glad to report that the old 12R is gone. So, whatever happens with the 2JZ approval, I certainly won't be leaving the standard engine in it!!

Still waiting to hear back from the engineer...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  15. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    I've heard back from the engineer and whilst I'm not able to fit the 2JZ I've decided on an 'old school' Toyota 18RG (two litre, four cylinder, twin cam, twin chain, two valve). I'm actually a lot happier about this than I thought I would be, as it's been a long time since I've enjoyed "simple motoring" as I've spent more time working on cars than actually having cars that drive.

This will still be a long & expensive process but certainly cheaper & less time-consuming than the 2JZ would have been!

Although not particularly high-powered the new engine is a 'period' performance upgrade, and from the same family of engines (12R -> 18R) which makes it a nice swap and relatively easy thing to fit.

Will go from 1.6lt and 80hp to 2.0lt and 130hp. Once it's all in and running I'll be doing a basic rebuild to freshen it up and squeeze a little more power out of it, without being silly. With 10.5:1 compression, 92mm bore and a mild cam alteration, I should hopefully end up with around 150-160hp at the engine. Most importantly I'll still retain the retro coolness of the car, which is important to me and I guess would have been lost in a way if I'd fitted the 2JZ as originally intended.

I've removed the old engine, and sourced the 18RG. It's mostly complete but needs a little bit of work putting bits and pieces back together and getting it fitted & running.

I should be finished moving house this weekend, and next weekend have my garage all organised & ready to actually start some work on it so will ahve pictures at the time!

16. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    awesome! i couldn't imagine a 2jz fitting up front without it sitting next to you in the cab lol.

if i could have found an 18rg i would have went with it over the 1uz i'm doing.

17. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    I was going to go 1UZ, but decided to avoid any potential fitting dramas with steering etc. Also registration for a V8 here in Queensland is double that of a four cylinder (about $1100/year vs about $550/year).

We always used to be "the lucky country" but these days we are "the taxed & overly controlled country"! Their favourite trick is charging tax, on tax!

18. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    Glad to report I now have my 18RG. It came in boxes so I just did a quick trial-assembly to make sure everything is there and it all looks pretty complete.

It's in generally good condition so I'll pull it all down for a clean & once-over and put it back together as it sits but with new gaskets etc throughout. I might give the head a quick overhaul while it's apart.

Looks good eh?

Attached Files:

19. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
    great choice